Apr 19, 2024, 05:51 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My Library TARDIS door

Started by lucca, Apr 06, 2010, 09:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lucca

To celebrate the start of the new series and Matt and Karen's arrival i decided to turn my library door into a TARDIS door. I've never done anything like this before so this was my first attempt at any sort of build. i'm so in awe of the skills of everyone on these boards.

well this is my first attempt. i was helped by my uncle who you can see in most of the photos. i've learned a lot making these doors. i've decided to do the telephone door again as its not right. I've also decided to have a go at the roof. any advice on how to get a decent looking telephone panel would be very appreciated.

photo.jpg

my uncle with the basic door.

photo 2.jpg

both doors with panels cut out

lucca

me behind the doors that are now hung.

photo 4.jpg

with window frames and glass added

photo 5.jpg

wood primes and ready for painting.

tardis with primer.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Thats working suprisingly well! The proportions look excellent and the details around the doors are just great!

Well done! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

lucca

Apr 06, 2010, 10:23 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 07, 2010, 07:32 am by Scarfwearer
thanks. i'm quite pleased with it as its my first attempt at something like this.

here's the first blue i tried. i thought it was too dark though.
TARDS in dark blue.jpg

here's the new blue and beading added.
new blue and beading.jpg

here's the reverse of the doors. from inside the library looking at the doors.
reverse of door.jpg

nearly finished. i'm going to replace the telephone panel as not happy with it. any tips on how to make it better would be appreciated ;-)
nearly finished.jpg

i'm so pleased wit the way its come out i'm going to try and do a bit of a roof, the police box sign and a lamp. any hints and tips for that would be welcome too.

thanks.

mechanoid

That is really, really good! It is just a standard sized door right?

Scarfwearer

It looks great! I'm surprised more people don't do this, as it's a very practical alternative to building a TARDIS, depending on your circumstances. There are a few other doorway builds on this site e.g. [ref topic=490]this one[/ref] or [ref topic=535]this one[/ref].

As far as advice for the door sign goes, a closer look would be useful. You might prefer the white-on-blue, black-on-metal or white-on-black look depending on which era of TARDIS resonates with you. We have topics on door signs and top signs pinned at the top of the [ref board=24]TARDIS Reference[/ref] board if there's a particular version you want to match.

Anyway, it looks fab and I bet you have a smile on your face whenever you step through it. :)

Crispin

geminitimelord

Looks good, there have been several "Doors" built on this forum.

I would carve a hole in the wall above the door and back light a Call Sign. Just pray it isnt load bearing LOL.

lucca

hi everyone, thanks for the positive comments. Yes its just a standard domestic door. i was a bit worried that it would be too small but by paring down the scale its looks ok.

i've though of a way of backlighting the policebox sign and lamp using some LED lights that i've seen from Ikea. Might not get a chance to buil that till next wwekend but i'll update when i can. wish i was as talented as everyone on here!

dustyfro

You could make the telephone panel cabinet style with grooves for thin plywood set in the middle of 1x2s instead of putting beading on the outside only.
x Hannah

lucca

well here's the finished door. i'm not thrilled with the lamp so i might have to revisit it at a later date. overall though i'm happy with it. photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

mordrogyn

I like it.

Definitely one of the best doorways I've seen on the net
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

DoctorWho8

Well done.  A blend of Hartnell and current TARDISes.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

flaming cog

Thats realy realy cool :D Love it!
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

Scarfwearer

It looks great! I'm sure you get that magical feeling when you step through those doors...

Crispin

ThisJustinOnline