Mar 29, 2024, 03:46 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Matt Smith's TARDIS

Started by chainsaw, Jul 20, 2009, 04:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw

Jul 20, 2009, 04:54 pm Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 04:51 pm by doctoriz
I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but that thing looks huge! I haven't started my build yet, still getting measurements together, and one of the dimensions that seems consistent with all of the builds is a door height of 6 feet 6 inches. The new design must have a door height of, what maybe 1000 feet? No seriously, is the new Dr and his companion 4 feet tall? I'd love to hear Purp chime in on this one. I'm sure I could be wrong, just ask my wife. She's always saying I exaggerate measurements.

purpleblancmange

Jul 20, 2009, 06:13 pm #1 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2010, 10:59 am by Scarfwearer
From a different thread.
Quote from: chainsaw on Jul 20, 2009, 04:54 pmI'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but that thing looks huge! I haven't started my build yet, still getting measurements together, and one of the dimensions that seems consistent with all of the builds is a door height of 6 feet 6 inches. The new design must have a door height of, what maybe 1000 feet? No seriously, is the new Dr and his companion 4 feet tall? I'd love to hear Purp chime in on this one. I'm sure I could be wrong, just ask my wife. She's always saying I exaggerate measurements.

I think we can safely say that it is a brand new build, but based on the MkII with a couple of minor changes that people have already noted.  So, what do you want to call it, MkII.I?

dscf8558.jpg
It's gone back to the ply wall backing this time around, but the locking together mechanism is a simple slide bolt, so obviously it's the sign boxes that hold the frame work together.  Nice addition of the removable panel here to allow the cabling in through the back, rather than having huge holes drilled through the panel...

468x565.jpg
Here you can see the access panel ajar, bottom right recessed panel there.

I must say that at this stage, the increased width of the window frames makes it look as if they're slightly proud of the bevelled area.  It looks okay.  Nice to see that they've gone back to the MKI sign graphics though.

Just in case anyone wants to know, this came about just after last Easter.  It was suggested that with the new "era" of the series, the box could be rebuilt to look like a traditional Police Box.  To investigate how this could be done, a very accurate mock up of the Barnet Police Box was made (I'm saying no more on this - sorry) and I was asked to give my thoughts on it.  However, I just had a gut feeling that they'd do just what they've done now.

The only thing is, it looks a bit clean - but give it time... and they had to get slightly different handles now that the Liberty Bell ones are no-longer in production.

peted

Jul 20, 2009, 11:30 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:01 pm by doctoriz
A Quick and dirty approximation sketch...

matt_smith%20box_sm.jpg

DoctorWho8

Jul 21, 2009, 01:15 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:04 pm by doctoriz
I say we call it the NST Mk IIA (kind of like NCC-1701 to NCC-1701A on Star Trek)
Bill Rudloff

purpleblancmange

Jul 21, 2009, 06:48 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:08 pm by doctoriz
Quote from: primrodo on Jul 21, 2009, 12:49 amI think we shoudl just call it the MKIII :)

But the physical changes are minor, not quite sure it's worth calling it a whole new mark.  But what do I know?

I have a feeling that the windows may still be lit, but using photo electric paper (which glows) - I spoke about this on the old OG forum last year.

There's a placer on the base that the wall slots in to, if you look at my build, I have the same thing.  They should have had one more level of bolts as you can clearly see the wall bowing inwards at the middle of the prop.  Kiwi Doc used this method on his build to great affect.

QuoteThe grain seems more pronouced! Is that raised like the MKI and II....or is it just that the greain is showing? At initial look, it looks like its not raised at all...

It does look raised, but because there's no crud added to it or even a black wash, it just looks very clean and crisp, that said, they have done the old paint and gently sand back trick. 

There's some nice super hi-res images floating around that show it off quite well.  The bottom line is that it is a direct copy of MkII, just with little extra cosmetic changes here and there.

ThisJustinOnline

Jul 21, 2009, 11:50 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:08 pm by doctoriz
Well the physical changes to the MKII are minor compared to the 1996 TARDIS and the MKI :P I just think it complicates things to call it the MK II.something. I mean it has ne routering (done better) new windows, new signs, new lamp, new construction etc....in all essense its a whole new version. Just my opinion though :)

Electric Paper? Like EL Sheet? Similar to the stuff used for Pimping your car? will have to wait and see how they do it then... The pictures posted don't even seem like theres light in the sign boxes.

So the texture is just a natural texture then? Much like wood grain on hardwood floor?

anson

Jul 21, 2009, 12:49 pm #6 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:08 pm by doctoriz
I'd say it should be referred to as the Mk 3.

I think it may even be uglier than the 2005 box...

Dematerialiser

Jul 21, 2009, 01:41 pm #7 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:09 pm by doctoriz
Well, I always associate a new 'mark' with a serious amount of design re-invention and/or new-build - but cosmetically this box just looks like the NST MKII with a lick of paint and a new lamp to me. The rest is really just minor detailing imo.

How about the MKII Refurb?

EDIT: actually, scratch that suggestion - I forgot it's a brand new physical build, so it can't really be a refurb. I'd probably go with the 2009 MKII.

anson

Jul 21, 2009, 04:27 pm #8 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:10 pm by doctoriz
How about Mk 2.5?

purpleblancmange

Jul 21, 2009, 05:03 pm #9 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:10 pm by doctoriz
Quote from: ansonjames on Jul 21, 2009, 04:27 pmHow about Mk 2.5?

Didn't I already suggest that (as 2.1 or whatever I said) a bit further up?  Albeit in Roman Numerals - force of habit.

Rox

Jul 21, 2009, 05:27 pm #10 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:11 pm by doctoriz
I do agree with Purple that it's not a new "mark".  As it's from the same mould as II, then as far as I see it, it's technically a redressed II, just from a fresh II mould.

Like I said before, it'll keep the toy manufacturers happy, because there are minimal changes from a tooling perspective, it's mainly cosmetics.
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

ThisJustinOnline

Jul 21, 2009, 08:50 pm #11 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:12 pm by doctoriz
I dunno, its still got its own differences with details and how its built...yes its got routing around the posts and jambs, but the walls are completely different with how they are constructed, along with the windows etc.

I think it needlessly complicates things to call it 2.1, 2.5 2009MK2 etc :P

chrisrowand123

Jul 21, 2009, 08:53 pm #12 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:12 pm by doctoriz
I (think) I like the new box and hope to modify my NST in due course. Should be fairly straightforward to change. Although I'm going to wait to see if they weather the prop as the series progresses.
Does anyone here think the window spars are slightly wider now than the previous version, or is this attributed to the colour change? Does anyone have a hi res copy of the St Johns logo to post and share?
Chris

Scarfwearer

Jul 21, 2009, 10:00 pm #13 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:13 pm by doctoriz
Quote from: chrisrowand123 on Jul 21, 2009, 08:53 pmDoes anyone here think the window spars are slightly wider now than the previous version, or is this attributed to the colour change?

I initially thought so, but after some image processing, I'd have to say 'no':
window-bars.png
The section across the middle is from the new prop, the rest is the old prop straightened up, reverse video and some hue adjustment and sharpening.
I could be persuaded that the horizintal bar is actually thinner...

Crispin

peted

Jul 21, 2009, 10:26 pm #14 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 05:13 pm by doctoriz
useful ref pic for you guys, if you've not already seen it. I have it bigger if you really need it.

matt_karen.jpg