News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Original You Might Say

Started by Mark, May 02, 2005, 08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

Aug 23, 2007, 10:02 am #315 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:28 pm by scarfwearer
Welcome back Mark! Long time no see...
What have you missed? Well, Purple briefly overtook you as top poster last week, but you've sprinted past him again since you returned :)... and he's away this week, I think.
Since we reached 1000 members (!!!!) proboards will no longer sort us into order of top post counts.

Anyway, it's good to have you back.

Crispin

dematerialiser

Aug 23, 2007, 05:11 pm #316 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:28 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Mark!

Good to see you back  :D  Plenty of threads for you to catch up on (but not mine unfortunately - my build is in stasis for the moment  ::) ) so you should be busy for the next few weeks just reading through it all!

cheers
Chris

Mark

Aug 24, 2007, 01:01 am #317 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:28 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Scarfy and Demat, hope you are both well?

Well at the minute my build is in the same state as last time I was here, basically a large concrete square of foundations with some cables popping out! ;D

As for updates, the only thing worth mentioning is that I finally got hold of an original relay flasher units.

How do you pop in those clickable thumbnails again, damn it's been ages since I did those? ???

I've stripped it all down and cleaned it up and it looks as though it is in pretty good working order.

The only thing left to do is test it using mains power and a telephone line (unofficially of course ;))

Scarfwearer

Aug 24, 2007, 08:56 am #318 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:28 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: mark board=build thread=1115023419 post=1187917273How do you pop in those clickable thumbnails again, damn it's been ages since I did those? ???

Like this: How do I add hypertext/thumbnails to posts?
:)

Crispin

Sorvan

Aug 24, 2007, 05:03 pm #319 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:28 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Mark,

Nice to see you back.  There are a few builds that have been completed since you were around, but not mine.  :P  I plan on working on it tomorrow though.  Hopefully I'll get something done.

Colin

Mark

Aug 26, 2007, 08:34 pm #320 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:29 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks Scarfy.

Thats better, I'm so out of practice ;D

th_DSCF0028.jpg

Right, this is the relay box I finally got hold of that will be living in my Police Box.

This is what made the lamp on the roof of the box flash when the phone was "ringing".

th_DSCF0023.jpg

The lower section is where the telephone line is connected to a solenoid. This solenoid, when activated, then puchses a small rod up which tilts the mercury position switch above.

The mercury switch is connected to the mains and the roof lamp, and when it's tilted, the mercury completes the circuit, and hey presto!

Now this type of falsher switch wasn't the type first fitted in police boxes or posts. If you check the new plans posted by Ukarchivist you'll see that the relay switch featured is a larger affair.

At some point, the relays were upgraded to the newer type pictured above.

I'm not sure when exactly these upgrades were made as the relay box has no date indicated on it, but the Crich box and Avoncroft Post both have one fitted.

If any body has a picture of the inside of the Avoncroft Glasgow Police box interior that shows how the relay and power board was fitted, I would be interested to see.

Mark

Aug 26, 2007, 08:51 pm #321 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:29 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Sorvan, sorry if last post looked a little like I ignored you. Was ckecking back on your build thread.

I like the idea of railway sleepers. Sounds like a great idea for cheap lumber of pretty much any size needed. Also I'm guessing they will definately up for the job as they will have been treated at some time or other.

Went to Blackpool this weekend, and managed to find another old telephone for the build.

This is actually the third phone I have now, but I think that this latest one is going to really do the job.

It is very close in style to the 200 series phones that would have been originally used, and has no dial, just a push button. I'll get some pictures up soon.

kiwidoc

Aug 26, 2007, 10:44 pm #322 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:29 pm by scarfwearer
That's fascinating to see, thanks Mark.    - glen
Quote from: mark board=build thread=1115023419 post=1188160477Thanks Scarfy.

Thats better, I'm so out of practice ;D

th_DSCF0028.jpg

Right, this is the relay box I finally got hold of that will be living in my Police Box.

This is what made the lamp on the roof of the box flash when the phone was "ringing".

th_DSCF0023.jpg

The lower section is where the telephone line is connected to a solenoid. This solenoid, when activated, then puchses a small rod up which tilts the mercury position switch above.

The mercury switch is connected to the mains and the roof lamp, and when it's tilted, the mercury completes the circuit, and hey presto!

Now this type of falsher switch wasn't the type first fitted in police boxes or posts. If you check the new plans posted by Ukarchivist you'll see that the relay switch featured is a larger affair.

At some point, the relays were upgraded to the newer type pictured above.

I'm not sure when exactly these upgrades were made as the relay box has no date indicated on it, but the Crich box and Avoncroft Post both have one fitted.

If any body has a picture of the inside of the Avoncroft Glasgow Police box interior that shows how the relay and power board was fitted, I would be interested to see.

Rassilons Rod

Aug 28, 2007, 09:49 am #323 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:29 pm by scarfwearer
Quickie: Did the original have bevelled panels or were they square?

I made quick picture in PAINT to illustrate :)

bevel.jpg

So if its the bevelled version, I'll probably need a 2nd measurement. :)

Cheers
-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Aug 28, 2007, 07:13 pm #324 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:29 pm by scarfwearer
I gather the met police boxes had bevels, but the Brackacki box did not. The Newbery and later boxes did, however...

Watch out for teddy bears wielding crossbows. :o

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Aug 28, 2007, 07:34 pm #325 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:30 pm by scarfwearer
Cheers :)

btw... what do you mean teddy bear and crossbow?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Mark

Aug 29, 2007, 12:48 am #326 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:30 pm by scarfwearer
"teddy bears and crossbows"????

Scarfy, I'm so confused!

Rassilonrod, as you know, I measured the Crich box, but the panels were pretty tricky due to the deteriation of the concrete (pre renovation). In the end I came to the conclusion that the depth of the panels was 1/2 inch and that the angle of the actual bevel worked out nicely at 45'.

Maybe not 100% accurate, but works well for me!

Mark

Aug 29, 2007, 01:04 am #327 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:30 pm by scarfwearer
Actually, after checking some of the photo's, I'm starting to think the actual bevel angle is almost a right angle to the front of the box as per the Brachaki box (told you I had problems measuring!) ::)

th_Walldetails.jpg

Maybe a 4th visit is in order......

Here's piccy's of the recent phone I picked up.

th_1115.jpg

As I said earlier, not 100%, but very close and practicle having the push button and now dial :)

Scarfwearer

Aug 29, 2007, 10:34 pm #328 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:30 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rassilonsrod board=build thread=1115023419 post=1188329647Cheers :)

btw... what do you mean teddy bear and crossbow?

A reference to your location....

Crispin

Mark

Aug 30, 2007, 12:46 am #329 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 08:31 pm by scarfwearer
At the moment I have to confess I'm still confused, but I'll think hard otherwise I will look quite foolish :-[

At present the only thing I can think of implies we may have met, and not been introduced :o

I did this blackboard for a pub I frequent, to advertise a Valentines Day function. I did it this year......
th_0101.jpg