Mar 29, 2024, 04:45 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My custom TARDIS console build

Started by type_1012_tardis, Feb 25, 2010, 10:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

type_1012_tardis

May 08, 2010, 04:25 pm #30 Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:48 pm by type_1012_tardis
Ok, so, i still haven't gotten around to shrinking those photos yet.
Now, before you start throwing tapes of old episodes at your computer screen, lemme offer this:

New ideas:
- momentum turbines - part of the engines, generate the momentum needed for flight
- auxiliary brakes - rusted 'on', which gives my TARDIS its demat/remat sound
- tard-net - a wireless service within the tardis, it allows connection of telepathy and wifi-equipped devices
- master brake - small switch behind a roundel, can be used to stop all motion of the tardis, makes a sound like fingernails-on-chalkboard when on
- master fuse B - a small fuse, provides power to demat circuit and transmat unit
- master fuse A - 600,000,000,000 amps, provides power to the engine room
- master fuse C - 999,900,009 amps, provides power to the primary server room
- primary server room - contains over 90,000 mac pros and X-serve units (2020 models), most powerful computing system this side of the 33rd century
- telepathic key - key to the tardis, needs to be used by an authorized user, IDs based on telepathic imprint (impossible to forge), also needed to fly the tardis if operator is not ID'd as the owner
             and finally:
- isomorphic controls - (function should be obvious), can only be activated/deactivated by the owner
             ok, i lied, there's one more:
- recall circuit - re-purposed to home in on a key if used correctly by an authorized user

*EDIT* the key can also modify itself to open any tardis from type 5 to type 53 if used by an authorized user, one of the only ways to force entrance on a type 35, 40, or 47, also fits into a few higher models' keyholes. *

*EDIT 2 * i've also changed some of my layout for the console again.using 3 laptops, getting older from left to right. First off: my new macbook pro 13'', it's the master command panel, tardis info. system, and more.
- Then: co-ordinate panel
- exterrior panel, with the junk toshiba laptop from 6 years ago which can be seen it the above photos (which was formerly the master command
- desk area (currently has a vcr motherboard on it)
- communications panel, with junk IBM laptop from 1992, which i can't even get to work properly (bad CMOS batt., and i broke the speaker while checking the batteries, the main battery is also junk
- no idea for this panel yet, currently has some misc. circuitry on it
then back to the master command *
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

galacticprobe

May 09, 2010, 05:05 am #31 Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:29 am by galacticprobe
Might I suggest two small things:

First, that rather than having someone use a phrase the likes of "... how the f@#$ did...", since this is supposed to be a family-oriented forum, that for symbols we be allowed to substitute 'frack' since there was a huge line of "Galactica" toys and products (both in the '70s as well as in the '03+ range) geared towards children, and in both incarnations of the series said word was used in a "family oriented" way. (Besides, seeing on nearly every street corner where I live those stupid signs that have those symbols inside a red circle with the diagonal slash through it is getting on my nerves. A friend of mine was recently fined $150.00 (US) when some inconsiderate buffoon shouldered him out of the way, with the phrase, "Move it, <word followed which described the intended 'exit-only' opening of a humanoid body>!" My friend, naturally insulted more for his girlfriend having to hear this, responded in a pleasant voice, "Sure; right after you go straight to hell." Well, the local constabulary ignored the instigator's more vulgar comment and ticketed my friend for use of his phrase. Since then I've wanted to rip down every such red circle/slash sign I see (which of course I don't as this would land me in jail and no doubt bring my military career to an abrupt and pathetic end). However, It does have me using the good old Galactica phrase when ever the opportunity presents itself. So, since such a wide "Galactica" toy market was aimed at children, I think the phrase should be given come consideration. (Besides then Scott won't get in hot water with the Mod when I come along with another version of a logo. <snicker>) Your thoughts, Mod?

Second, your description "- master brake - small switch behind a roundel, can be used to stop all motion of the tardis, makes a sound like fingernails-on-chalkboard when on"... As I cringe at the mere thought of the sound, I plead with thee to rather use the phrase "makes a sound of a train sliding downhill, with its brakes locked", which is effectively the same result, but doesn't make me want to put my head through a plate glass window to avoid the sound. (Trust me: I'm ugly enough; you wouldn't want to see me after I've put my head through a plate glass window!)

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Scarfwearer

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 09, 2010, 05:05 am...since this is supposed to be a family-oriented forum,

Your thoughts, Mod?

I try not to be too militant about the strong language issue - the occasional milder forms will be let by when called for, but I start to object when it's gratuitous. Sometimes stronger ones will slip through if I'm not watching closely enough.  Changing the spelling to disguise the word doesn't mean a lot to me - it's the intent that matters.

Generally my life would be easiest if people simply don't use strong language on the forum - then I don't have to decide whether and how much to moderate it...

Crispin

type_1012_tardis

Yeah, whenever i use strong language on sites like this, i always symbol it out.  Makes it much more appropriate (at least, until you think about it carefully.)
As for the 'fingernails on chalkboard' i apologize, I just don't know any other ways to describe that sound.

mordrogyn

Did I miss something?

When I saw the post for the first time it was similar to a word that is a name for a large structure that holds back water....
Now unless it was something else prior to that I dunno, but to me that word doesn't constitute "strong language" nor does the word which refers to the home of the devil (notice how I am avoiding saying them just in case)

There are far far faaaar worse curse words, is seems that sometimes political correctness has gone too far (not that I am criticizing anyone here I might add) It just makes me laugh that at least here in America people can take offense at these words (especially the second one) and then go and give a town that exact name!

Anyway I digress
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

type_1012_tardis

Agreed.  Also, here in America, people swear too much, at least in my experience.
Anyways, gonna try to find that SD card, so that I can get some new photos of my console up.

Also, anyone know how I can get a macbook pro to stay in place on my console without crashing to the floor while still being easily removable (meaning no adhesive)? oh, and the panel is too thin for stuff like nails and screws (like, 1/8 inches or something, probably thinner).

mordrogyn

in a word....

Velcro!

Or add a small shelf to the console to prevent slippage
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

Scarfwearer

You may be able to find some glue-on rubber pads to fix to the underside - more versatile than velcro.
I'm not sure where to get them though.

Crispin

galacticprobe

May 09, 2010, 08:58 pm #38 Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:10 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: mordrogyn on May 09, 2010, 07:28 pm
Did I miss something?

When I saw the post for the first time it was similar to a word that is a name for a large structure that holds back water....
Now unless it was something else prior to that I dunno, but to me that word doesn't constitute "strong language" nor does the word which refers to the home of the devil (notice how I am avoiding saying them just in case)

There are far far faaaar worse curse words, is seems that sometimes political correctness has gone too far (not that I am criticizing anyone here I might add) It just makes me laugh that at least here in America people can take offense at these words (especially the second one) and then go and give a town that exact name!

Anyway I digress

No, Paul, you haven't missed anything. Just me thinking on the family aspect of things (and under heavy medication while doing it; the wife says I should stay away from the computer until I've completely recovered, but I just can't; she does scare me sometimes when she orders me to back away from the keyboard, and then points at me while shouting "Obey! Obey!! OBEY!!!).

It just strikes me as funny, seeing kids in the neighborhood playing "Galactica" and using the frack word like it was nothing, and me commenting that where I live you can tell someone - in public - to go (and do unmentionables to themselves) and get fined heavily if a police officer hears you, yet you won't get fined if you use the Galactican word for it (kind of goes along with the kids arguing who's going to be Apollo today, and who's going to be Baltar, and all using that new "F" word).

I started my post trying to be on the humorist side, thinking Galactican might be better than symbols, so maybe the wife is right, and I'm the one who missed something (like most of my brain cells!). And let me assure everyone here that I am not easily offended. In fact if you talk to those I work with they'll tell you that it takes something serious to offend me.

And I agree with you completely about those two words that I find offensive - yes, they are two of the rare things that can and usually will offend me in ways that I can't even begin to describe: Political Correctness! I think whoever invented that term and caused its widespreading should be subjected to the tissue compression eliminator! (Almost 30 years in Uncle Sam's military and I've heard variations of curses that would make you laugh, if they weren't so vulgar. Come to think of it, when I heard them in Boot Camp, they did make me laugh. I don't need to tell you what happened next, or what the next wave of curses sounded like! Remember "Full Metal Jacket"? What you saw on screen was not very far from the truth.) I'm serious; some of the things I've heard in the way of curses - "natural" and intermixed to create new ones - over the last 30 years would set our nose hairs on fire!

But it's like Type-1012 said, there is way too much swearing going on over here in the Colonies (but I'm getting better!) If not using those Galactican terms, I've taken to using British terms; (actually, the wife started me on that, but she is better than me in all aspects; she IS a Type-102; I just know it!).

So, no, Paul, you didn't miss anything other than me being a goof (or trying to; it really is what I do best). Oh, and that thing about the train brakes being locked... the description "sounds" <PUN> a little better (to my ears at least). Which reminds me... there is a house across the street from me with a wind turbine on its roof, and that turbine sounds just like you describe. Today is exceptionally windy, and I'm about to take my cricket bat (yes, I really do have one) and send that turbine into next week! (How can they live with that noise in that house when it's annoying the Jehosaphat out of me three houses away?!)

Although, as annoying as it is today, I may just bide my time and then exact my revenge (or "re-wen-gay", depending on which "Blackadder" era you're in). I shall gently remove the turnbine later, when things quiet down, and replace it with a HUGE funnel since it's supposed to rain tonight - quite heavily, I might add. (But you didn't hear that from me. <tapping side of nose gently>)

Now, what was that about digressing?
Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type_1012_tardis

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 09, 2010, 08:58 pm
[insert quote here]

[insert mile-long quote here]
Dino.

A) you appear to have a thing for typing insanely long replies
B) my username's spelled with an underscore. not a dash.  please do get it right (even though my creativity was empty when I came up with it)
C) can we please get back onto the topic of my console, please?  Some of you really need to spend more time on facebook, because as scarfwearer pointed out on another post, this isn't the place for your whole [beep]ing life's story.

type_1012_tardis

Well, I just found the USB cable for my parents' camcorder (since my macbook pro has no CF slot) a few minutes ago, so I went to the basement and took a few photos.  The lighting's bad (fluorescent bulbs produce terrible lighting for cameras), but they show the console well.

Expect them within the next 10 minutes or so.  Just gotta figure out how to use iPhoto so that I can shrink them.

type_1012_tardis

Ok, so with my SD card missing, and having figured out how to export reduced-size photos using iPhoto, here's newer photos!

master command panel.  Macbook Pro will sometimes be here, and the console relies heavily on it.
P5098125.jpg

to the left of panel #1 is [insert panel name here once idea pops up], to the left of that is the communications panel.
P5098126.jpg

to the left of that is my desk, which currently has a VCR logic board on it, which is being used to fix the scanner.
P5098127.jpg

left of desk is the scanner and defenses panel.  This laptop functions as the scanner and radar screen (also sonar), while the joysticks control the compact lasors that have been added to certian outer shell settings.  It also controls the chameleon circuit.
P5098128.jpg

Co-ordinate panel, and back to the master command.  The keyboard is from an old macintosh performa (only temporary).
P5098129.JPG

Zoom-out of photo #1.  This shows the cables leading out of the console.
P5098130.JPG

This shows that the cables lead to my disguised Type 52 TARDIS (revision D), which is in preset #17 on its chameleon circuit.
P5098131.JPG

Outdated media center.  The TV is from '83-84 (i think), and has that ugly fake wood grain.  Yes there are 2 VCRs, as one has a broken eject, and the other has a defective RF output.  The power switch (6-switch) has 2 things in it: console and media center.
P5098132.jpg

galacticprobe

May 10, 2010, 06:21 am #42 Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:57 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: type_1012_tardis on May 09, 2010, 10:01 pm
Quote from: galacticprobe on May 09, 2010, 08:58 pm
[insert quote here]

[insert mile-long quote here]
Dino.

A) you appear to have a thing for typing insanely long replies
B) my username's spelled with an underscore. not a dash.  please do get it right (even though my creativity was empty when I came up with it)
C) can we please get back onto the topic of my console, please?  Some of you really need to spend more time on facebook, because as scarfwearer pointed out on another post, this isn't the place for your whole [beep]ing life's story.

Greetings, type_1012_tardis,

In response:
A) I am insane (ask anyone I work with, or who knows me). Sometimes I tend to ramble on, even when I try not to; I can't help it because I'm insane. Also, being stuck near the computer recovering from back surgery isn't helping; not being able to move about and do what needs doing around the house is making me, for lack of a better word, insane. Trust me, once I get back to work you probably won't see me posting at much or as long, or now even at all. Or would it be better if I ran through the forum and simply deleted every post of mine, then deleted my profile and never posted another thing?
B) Forgive me about your username name. I thought I hit the shift key. Sometimes I guess that finger doesn't press hard enough, but I hear that happens when insane people type. No insult intended.
C) Again, forgive me there. I tend to get emotional sometimes when trying to make a point because I would like people to understand my thinking (and because I'm insane) it means I ramble on a bit. But if you think my posts are bad, you should have been in one of the Electronics classes I taught at the US Coast Guard "ET" School. I'm not saying that I get easily distracted, and fly off on tangents when trying to discuss a topic, but, because I'm insane, every so often... oooh! Shiny! AND I GUARANTEE THAT YOU'D HAVE NEVER DOZED OFF IN ANY OF MY CLASSES.

Personally, I share my wife's Facebook account because there are people on Facebook who hated me in high school and went out of their way to make my life miserable (me, the NYC kid, who was insane - transplanted into NE Penn where all the kids grew up in the woods and looked like Grisly Adams - just call me a target), and now all those Grisly Adams kids want to "friend" me. No thanks; I don't need them. I'm insane, so I have enough of me to talk to. My wife and I found my cousins; that's enough.

And, because I am insane, I apologize most sincerely to anyone else on this forum that feels my posts are insanely long. If you (the Forum) truly feel that way about it, just say so and I'll head straight for that plate glass window (another pun) and go right through it. Or maybe I'll try a concrete block wall, or maybe do that entire "DELETE" thing first.

Mod, I obviously do not possess the mental faculties to make a decision of this magnitude, ergo I yield to your wisdom; what's your call: window or wall... or as the Cybermen would say: "DELETE!"?

Dino.
(Did I mention that I'm insane?)

galacticprobe

Don't know why this one is showing up down here. (Maybe because I'm insane?)

Scarfwearer

Dino, if you're insane you're in good company. A little insanity is pretty much the norm around here. :)
type_1012_tardis is showing promising signs of being a little insane also. ;)

Crispin