Apr 19, 2024, 06:08 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Model Build - NST Mk4

Started by lorisarvendu, Feb 15, 2010, 11:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Eeh it don't look bad when you put the signs on!

NST-MK3-34.JPG

Scarfwearer

Pretty excellent I would say! Another very nice build.
You must have quite a line-up by now.

Crispin

DoctorWho8

Very nice.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

lorisarvendu

Mar 22, 2010, 11:58 am #18 Last Edit: Mar 22, 2010, 12:03 pm by Scarfwearer
The lamp's proving a real beast to do.  With most previous versions, although the "cage" formed by the lamp cap and the struts has to be a definite size, the width of the "glass" itself leaves a lot of room for manoeuver.  I've therefore been able to not be quite so fussy on what I use for the lamp.

This one though...well the struts are attatched to the lamp housing at top and bottom, but not to the lamp.  This severely restricts any "wiggle room" with the lamp glass.  I had to completely scrap the last one I'd made (although I kept the 4 struts).

I've glued the lamp on now, and I'll be attempting to attach the struts this evening.

Also, now it's time to come clean.  I made a mistake, and didn't find out what until the build was pretty advanced...although things kept "not quite fitting" and I couldn't figure out why.  

Basically when cutting out the 4 original faces, I appear to have made one of the faces a millimetre less wide along the bottom edge compared to the top edge.  This has had the effect of making the box not a complete cuboid, and therefore if you look "down the sides" (it's affected all 4), you will see that the model is actually slightly skewed.

By the time I realised this, I'd fitted the panels, painted the glass and window frames, and was already on the corner posts (and wondering why they looked slightly off).  I just couldn't bring myself to scrap it and start again, so I figured I'd just carry on and see how it turned out in the end.  Luckily as the model has grown in complexity, the errors are less noticeable.

However I will have to choose my camera angles carefully.

Scarfwearer

I guess that skew would work out to be about 1/2" if scaled up to full size. I'm not sure my 1:1 build is that accurate. It beats me how you work on stuff at this scale: you must have surgeon's hands and not drink coffee!

Crispin

lorisarvendu

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Mar 22, 2010, 12:26 pm
I guess that skew would work out to be about 1/2" if scaled up to full size. I'm not sure my 1:1 build is that accurate. It beats me how you work on stuff at this scale: you must have surgeon's hands and not drink coffee!

Crispin

Secrets of small scale TARDIS building:

1.  Hold your breath, especially when painting gloss blue round the edges of windows. 
2.  Swear a lot.
3.  Don't do any work on it when you're drunk or otherwise "under the influence", even if you think you can. You will royally screw things up.
4.  When it's finished, it's finished.  Leave it alone.  Don't "just add one last dab of paint here..."

;D

lorisarvendu

Finished! Finished! FINISHED!!!

NST-MK3-35.JPG

Not one of my best I'm afraid.  I had real problems with the lamp.

NST-MK3-37.JPG

And yes I know I said no last minute touching-up (ooer missus) but the bottom of those struts need finishing off with blue.

NST-MK3-36.JPG

Plus it needs a little brush down because there's a lot of card dust on it, but essentially it's done.

Elvis Gump

Quote from: lorisarvendu on Mar 22, 2010, 11:08 pm
Finished! Finished! FINISHED!!!

NST-MK3-35.JPG

Not one of my best I'm afraid.  I had real problems with the lamp.

NST-MK3-37.JPG

And yes I know I said no last minute touching-up (ooer missus) but the bottom of those struts need finishing off with blue.

NST-MK3-36.JPG

Plus it needs a little brush down because there's a lot of card dust on it, but essentially it's done.

Dude, that is an awesome model! I'd love to see the "how-to" tutorial.

lorisarvendu

Quote from: Elvis Gump on Mar 23, 2010, 12:49 am

http://www.spacewarp.co.uk.

I am geeky enough to have kept build-diaries.

Elvis Gump

Quote from: lorisarvendu on Mar 23, 2010, 06:11 am
Quote from: Elvis Gump on Mar 23, 2010, 12:49 am

http://www.spacewarp.co.uk.

I am geeky enough to have kept build-diaries.

I think they look great dude.

marfa isaman

we luve it xx well done Ace model
"Your caravan goes with me to Chaka Kahn!"
Marco Polo

mordrogyn

(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

lorisarvendu

I might just stand it by the TV while we're watching the programme.  ;D

lorisarvendu

After 6 weeks of Series 5, I finally decided I should paint my model the correct colour.  I'd originally used a darker blue which was fine for the NST, but the new version is much bluer and lighter.

Well this is the correct blue (more or less), but I think the problem is that the onscreen prop isn't a flat blue - it's got that prominent wood grain that makes the colour more, well, detailed I guess.

Unfortunately I may have gone a bit too Buchanan Street...

And the lamp's still pants.  Must get round to doing something about that.MATT2010.jpg

mordrogyn

Looking at the before and after I have to say that the old style NST with the white windows and St John's logo looks a lot more like a Hartnell box than the new color (obviously the build details are different, but you know what I mean)
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)