News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Model Build - NST Mk4

Started by lorisarvendu, Feb 15, 2010, 11:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

Feb 15, 2010, 11:38 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 04:45 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi All

Working from set photos of the 2010 prop I've drawn up a plan for Matt Smith's TARDIS.  It doesn't have dimensions, because I'm going to work straight off an A4 print, but I expect the finished product to be about 11" high.  I'd welcome any comments before I get started, so if anyone wants to PM me I can send you a PDF or JPG for your perusal.  I don't intend to post any links though as I feel I should keep this "members only".

I'm a bit fuzzy on how I'm going to do the lamp, but hopefully by the time I get to that stage I'll have a better idea!

atomicgraph

lorisarvendu, love all your models, fantastic work. here's an idea for the lamp make a profile shape out of plastic (you may be able to use different size hand files to make the shape), turn it around on a piece of clay, make a small mould and cast it.... just my suspicion but i would think that the matt smith tardis's Fresnel may be a bit larger than the older style tardis lens. could just be the "fixture".....

lorisarvendu

I've never thought of doing something like that.  You mean casting in plastic?  I wonder if I could.  I'll look into it.  Ta.

atomicgraph

i was thinking of using casting resin... its pretty easy to use. i moulded my pebble glass out of it.

lorisarvendu

Feb 20, 2010, 11:51 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 20, 2010, 11:55 pm by lorisarvendu
OK, I started yesterday, and I've managed to get the worst bit out of the way by Day 2 - those fraggin' windows!

NST-MK3-04.JPG

This time I've used a kind of "chisel" type knife that allows me to chop them without putting too much strain on the card.  Means I can get the frames 1.5mm thick, more in keeping with the look of the NST.  Takes patience though.  But here's all 8 done.

NST-MK3-05.JPG

And here they are in situ.

NST-MK3-08.JPG

That's enough for Day 2.

deck5

That's a lot of meticulous cutting! :) Lookinig good.

DoctorWho8

Gotta love those interchangeable xacto knife heads.  Does pretty good with Balsa wood too.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

lorisarvendu

Feb 26, 2010, 07:29 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 26, 2010, 07:30 pm by lorisarvendu
Painted the windows now.  Might need one more coat.

Behind the scenes...
NST-MK3-09.JPG

What U See
NST-MK3-10.JPG

-Dave

atomicgraph

looks a lot different with the frames   ;). pretty wild that the windows are black and it looks like your off to a good start.

lorisarvendu

Mar 01, 2010, 11:46 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2012, 09:05 am by lorisarvendu
Moved on a bit now!   ;D

NST-MK3-19.JPG

Build Diary:
http://www.spacewarp.co.uk/who/TARDIS_2010_01.htm

lorisarvendu

Mar 02, 2010, 10:40 pm #10 Last Edit: Mar 07, 2010, 12:52 pm by Scarfwearer
Corner posts.

NST-MK3-21.JPG

lorisarvendu

Well I've had some dull hours the past few evenings, but now everything's in place up to the light fitting (and I'm making that up as I go along).

NST-MK3-28.JPG

It's had a complete coat of acrylic primer (taking great care around those windows) so I can probably start painting in a day or two.

lorisarvendu

This is just the undercoat, a dark matt blue, almost grey.  But it does give that kind of "Cushing" vibe.

NST-MK3-29.JPG

lorisarvendu

I've finally found a larger plastic screw cover for the lamp cap.  Also I've whittled down 4 pieces of cocktail stick for the brackets. They are going to be a nightmare to paint.

NST-MK3-30.JPG

Blue Paint Moment!

NST-MK3-31.JPG

I am determined to finish this box in time for it's on-screen debut.

-Dave

lorisarvendu

I've finished the box in Royal Blue gloss, next it's varnish time.

NST-MK3-32R.JPG