Apr 27, 2024, 02:54 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Elsie the "Evil" Dalek

Started by chriskingbees, Aug 26, 2007, 03:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicgraph

Jun 26, 2008, 08:35 pm #60 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:16 pm by scarfwearer
hey chris, yea i started fiddiling around trying to make a dalek. very very difficult!!! my hat is off to anyone that has made one. those things are tuff, i got as far as the eye and eye stalk and have had to stop to get my head on straight (back to the "90 degrees" of a tardis). your dalek is coming along nicely and good luck with it. it'll be a nice addition to your collection

purpleblancmange

Jun 27, 2008, 06:59 am #61 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:16 pm by scarfwearer
Well I'm all for feedback and you know me, I like to try and help out... and I have a suggestion.

If you can be bothered at this stage, leave the neck completely as is, but move the inner ring on the dome further up.  Remove the offending ring, use a router or jigsaw to trim say half an inch off (6mm all way around) then fix it back into place.  Obviously I don't know all your dims, so you have to do the maths on this.

On all of the Daleks that I've worked on, the ring inside the dome has sat just level with the eye hole slot cut out.  I see you have little wheels fixed to the inside of the top of the neck, so raising the dome ring will mean that they won't connect any more.  Not a problem, use tiny castors instead.

As always, there are many ways to get around any issue and if you want, I could draw you a diregramtm (because it will be a dire diagram) of how it could be rectified, but I'll leave that for now because by the sounds of it, you want to get cracking with the rest of the build.

chriskingbees

Jul 02, 2008, 07:46 pm #62 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:17 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
A quick update on Elsie
The skirt is built ;

completeskirt.jpg

It is in two halves and I'm pleased with the seams;

insideskirt.jpg

Set up to start looking like a Dalek;

july2b.jpgjuly2a.jpg

And for the purists:  "The Twist":

thetwist.jpg

Many thanks
KB

paint

Jul 03, 2008, 03:18 am #63 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:17 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: chriskingbees board=dalek thread=636 post=14589 time=1214424051Hi All
Made a start on Elsie's skirt;

colouredballs.jpg

I seem to remember my Tardis looked wonky at this stage too ;D

Many thanks
KB

... :o.. ohohh ohh..!! do Dr who meets willy wonka .. ...

a dalek singing, candy man would be hilarious . and needs to go on  youtube ....

sorry .... :-X
you are now returned to your regularly scheduled thread

chriskingbees

Jul 09, 2008, 06:55 pm #64 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:17 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
First coat of primer on the skirt, all hemis filled, half of which are prepared and attached just for show;

th_bubblegum2.jpg
th_bubblegum1.jpg

The next time the hemis are attached, they will be all the same colour, he says hopefully
Thanks
KB

purpleblancmange

Jul 09, 2008, 08:16 pm #65 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:17 pm by scarfwearer
Hey, he, she, it - is really starting to take shape now - I'm keen to see it with some colour on there... actually, builds turn a corner when you have them all painted up in one colour, ie. undercoated.  It's at this point that you see your labours as a single unit, rather than a collections of bits.

Have you found yourself a decent plunger yet?  The '60s ones can be a bummer to get a hold of, though if you get stuck, I may be able to point you in the right direction... if you catch my drift.

anotherwheeze

Jul 09, 2008, 09:05 pm #66 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:18 pm by scarfwearer
Looking great Chris.

You are certainly making rapid and fantastic progress.

You'll be finished in no time at this rate, THEN it's the K9!!

By the way - apologies for the rather swift chat the other day. The family were on the way over, and I was in a right mess as you could see :(

NOW, all my hard work is buried under a landslide with all this rain  >:(

I'll catch up soon.

J

chriskingbees

Jul 10, 2008, 06:28 pm #67 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:18 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
made headway into the appendages today, plucked up the nerve to cut holes in the gun boxes and the 4" newel balls, and a little test spray of the hems

th_looksright4.jpg
th_weapon1.jpg
th_bluehems.jpg

I don't know, but I think she's starting to take shape
Thanks
KB

dematerialiser

Jul 11, 2008, 10:35 am #68 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:18 pm by scarfwearer
Looking great KB! With the hemispheres unpainted it looks like the Candyman's teamed up with Davros! :))

Anyway, looking forward to seeing it all painted and ready to exterminate.

cheers,
Chris 

chriskingbees

Jul 11, 2008, 09:16 pm #69 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:19 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Quick update;
Smarties, Willy Wonka, Kandyman, all gone I'm afraid

All hems white primer and spent 4 hours supergluing washers to the in and outside of the skirt

th_washers.jpg
th_whitehems.jpg
The hems picture reminds me of something, but I cant figure what lol
Many thanks
KB

atomicgraph

Jul 11, 2008, 09:56 pm #70 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:19 pm by scarfwearer
hey chris, what a sweet looking dalek!!! are you planing on motorizing it. 

chriskingbees

Jul 12, 2008, 07:42 pm #71 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:19 pm by scarfwearer
Hi all
A good long day today, finished the weapon assembly and built the seat arrangement, but forgot to photo it ::) Not thinking about motorising yet Emil, but maybe next year ;)

th_Weapon3.jpg
th_Readytoroll2.jpg

I honestly didn't think I'd get this far, but might make the hop farm trundle in September yet
Many thanks
KB

Doctor Iz

Jul 13, 2008, 02:29 am #72 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:19 pm by scarfwearer
KB,

Wow!  Your Dalek looks fantastic.  Your skills are remarkable my friend.  Keep up the good work.  Just don't let your Dalek inside your TARDIS...LOL. ;D

Cheers,
Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

chriskingbees

Jul 14, 2008, 07:15 pm #73 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:20 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
I made a little headway today, and have built some hinged flaps for the gun box rear assembly. Also glued the rods into the gun barrel. Will they hold? ???

th_balljoints2.jpg

Thanks
KB

chriskingbees

Jul 16, 2008, 07:37 pm #74 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:20 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
At this point I must stress that Elsie is very much a shoestring  build, indeed she has already run over budget by a good way. Hence I have to make sacrifices. Today i gave the skirt a coat of Hammerite smooth silver, not ideal I know, but I had it to hand.

th_bluehemson2.jpg
th_bluehemson1.jpg

Shortly after this picture was taken I sprayed the second batch of hemis, and Yoikes! the can continued to discharge. So all hems were hurriedly removed and their second coat went on a little quicker than I had imagined. It was mixed at Halfords for me by a really nice guy who was under pressure at the time, and I haven't got the heart to say anything, and anyway I just about got away with it. I still have one more whole can to use, so no harm done.
I've noticed, as many of you will no doubt, that the paint shows up the irregularity of the joints in the panels. Here's the irony, the split skirt seam will probably be the straightest lol. But this is my first attempt, so not tooooooo bad I hope.
many thanks
KB