Apr 25, 2024, 08:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sonic Universal Remote?

Started by dustyfro, Apr 28, 2009, 02:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyfro

Apr 28, 2009, 02:02 am Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 01:36 pm by Scarfwearer
Since my Tardis is going to be an entertainment center, I figure a Sonic Universal Remote would be the finishing touch.  Has anyone ever taken apart a television remote?  I'm thinking the barrel would have to be pretty fat or pretty long to put all the numbers on it, plus all the other gizmos like turning the television on, volume, channel, etc.  How do you even set a universal remote to work with your own tv?  I'm going to poke around at a second hand shop and see what I can find.
x Hannah

Dematerialiser

Apr 28, 2009, 08:45 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010, 09:39 am by scarfwearer
Hi dusty

I would look on ebay for one of those remote-control watches (Casio?) as it's small and (possibly) easy to strip down to small components. I don't think it's a 'learning' remote though, it would be universal, as you mentioned, so you'd have to make sure it has codes for your make/model of TV. I wouldn't know if it could control more than one device though - I think you'd need a large universal remote or learning remote for that, which would probably rule out being fitted inside a sonic..

cheers
Chris

dustyfro

Apr 29, 2009, 10:33 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 27, 2010, 09:39 am by scarfwearer
Thanks for the tip about the watch!  I saw a couple of different models for them, some including a touch screen, some with just the buttons.  Hmmmm.
x Hannah

vlair

they actually make Harry Potter Wand Universal remotes, which aren't overly thick. I imagine if you were to cannibalize one of those, you could fit it into a sonic body.
It's got my name written all over it. Well... not literally... but give me time... and a crayon...

Teletran

the biggest part of a remote is the interface for the buttons and the battery compartment so depending on how many functions you need...
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

wayne venomous

Nov 22, 2010, 09:03 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2010, 09:04 pm by wayne venomous
How about using the guts of one of those tiny keychain remote controls?
sliver-mini-universal-remote-control-key-chain-15658n.jpg

I'm sure I've seen these in Poundland!

cathlyn847

Nov 23, 2010, 05:38 pm #6 Last Edit: Nov 23, 2010, 05:48 pm by cathlyn847
Quote from: vlair on Nov 21, 2010, 09:04 pm
they actually make Harry Potter Wand Universal remotes, which aren't overly thick. I imagine if you were to cannibalize one of those, you could fit it into a sonic body.

This pricked my interest so I went to the website and sent them an email suggesting a sonic.
To my delight I got the following reply --
Cathlyn,
Love the idea. A sonic screwdriver certainly has been on our hit list of
things to do from the beginning. However, we have some other interesting ideas
on the drawing board that you might like, but I can't say much more right
now. So for now all I can say is you'll have to watch this space... :-)

Cheers,  Chris

--------I this is Chris Barnardo....
nice of a multi-millionair to answer emails from fans.
What would the Doctor do?

greatwazoo42

Quote from: vlair on Nov 21, 2010, 09:04 pm

Great minds think alike.  I was going to suggest that too.   ;D

d-hyde

Quote from: cathlyn847 on Nov 23, 2010, 05:38 pm
This pricked my interest so I went to the website and sent them an email suggesting a sonic.
To my delight I got the following reply --
Cathlyn,
Love the idea. A sonic screwdriver certainly has been on our hit list of
things to do from the beginning. However, we have some other interesting ideas
on the drawing board that you might like, but I can't say much more right
now. So for now all I can say is you'll have to watch this space... :-)

Cheers,  Chris

--------I this is Chris Barnardo....
nice of a multi-millionair to answer emails from fans.

IT was nice of you to get an email back... I didn't even get that. However, having read the comment about taking out the innards of one of the wands... it is a tempting and pleasing idea, is it not? Lol Although it would involve me buying the wand and another screwdriver... I couldn't justify taking apart my only Tennant and Smith screwdrivers to play with... :P
Pick A Star, Any Star...