Apr 25, 2024, 02:31 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Stattenheim Remote Control

Started by pod, Aug 01, 2009, 03:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

Aug 01, 2009, 03:50 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 03:35 pm by Scarfwearer
Was there ever, or does anybody have, any clear or detailed pics or plans for this little prop?

moomin

Sep 18, 2009, 03:02 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:25 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: pod on Aug 01, 2009, 03:50 pmWas there ever, or does anybody have, any clear or detailed pics or plans for this little prop?

:o How's about this then?

RANIPROPS.jpg

TTFN.
BillC

purpleblancmange

Sep 18, 2009, 07:34 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:44 pm by scarfwearer
Isn't that The Rani's version?  I think it's the one from Mark of the Rani or some-such, made from a rear facing bicycle light.  The Doctor's version was a slender rod type affair.

Nice find though.

superrichi1a

The Second Doctor held one up in The Two Doctors, his looked more like a rod with prongs sticking off the side, if you want I'll try to get you a screep cap. Personally, I don't think his remote looked very good, but I'm sure you can spruce it up a bit!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Quote from: superrichi1a on Jul 10, 2010, 09:38 pm
The Second Doctor held one up in The Two Doctors, his looked more like a rod with prongs sticking off the side, if you want I'll try to get you a screep cap. Personally, I don't think his remote looked very good, but I'm sure you can spruce it up a bit!

Put up a screen cap anyway. I'd love to see this in more detail. I remember little of this version since I haven't seen this story since the late 80s.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

livens

Jul 11, 2010, 03:45 pm #5 Last Edit: Sep 14, 2012, 03:32 pm by Scarfwearer
Here are the best screen caps I could find of this, they are VHS quality so someone with a Remastered DVD copy might do better.

The Stattenheim Remote Control (Teleport Control) is only seen at the very beginning and the very end of that episode, and only briefly each time.

DW2: At the moment we have other things to worry about ... Look at this!

statt1.jpg

Jamie: What? ... Hey I've not seen that before.

statt2.jpg

DW2: It's not been here before. It's a teleport control. <looks up in disgust and yells> You'd think I'd never flown solo before!
Jamie: Whats it do?
DW2: It gives the timelords dual control ... Wait, we'd better take the recall disc.

He then open the bubble top and grabs the Statt remote, placing it in his coat pocket.

- At the end...

DW6: A Stattenheim Remote Control!?! ... Where did you get that, Ive always wanted one of those.

statt3.jpg

DW2: Some of us have earned these little privileges...

Then DW2 hold the Satt remote aloft and whistles, recalling his own TARDIS.

statt4.jpg

I know it looks like it has 3 gold prongs, but I think it is a reflective disc, and we are seeing reflections of stage lights in it. DW2 does call it a 'recall disc' in the beginning of the ep.

Hope that helps!

edit...

Ive changed my opinion on the prongs... I think they are prongs, 2 rows of three. At the end DW2 is holding it upside down, by the round 'disc' part. What we see must be the 'plug' where it plugs into its spherical holder on the console. Here is another pic, I found a slightly better copy of that ep, when he first pulls it out he holds it so we see it from the side, showing that multi-colored reflective strip:

statt5.jpg

superrichi1a

Ooohh, well, I did get the caps but it looks like I've been beaten to it!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2010, 05:02 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 05:05 am by galacticprobe
I'm not sure about the end with the prongs; that might have been a prop department mod to make it look odd (or cool, depending on how you look at it). It does look like there are two rows, though, side by side (slightly offset depending on the image) for six prongs. They also look to be different lengths, with the middle prong being slightly longer than the other two. The image where the 2nd Doctor is in profile, holding the remote, has it look like the prong closest to his head is slightly shorter than the farthest prong, but that could just be an optical delusion (sic).

The close-up of the remote sitting in its bubble has it looking like a dentist's mirror as seen from the back of it (although the angle is backwards if it is such a thing; dentist's mirrors usually angle the other way so the mirror side leans towards the handle whereas this one has the back leaning towards it, but again that could be a prop department mod).

There also looks like some of that prismatic tape stuck to the lower part/middle of the handle in that image.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

livens

If you watch the vid over and over a few times you can definitely see 2 rows, but the angle is bad and the entire scene is in a dark cellar.

As far as what they used, I was thinking am old headset mic. I'm doubting whatever it was originally had the gold plug though. But as small as it is it wouldn't be too hard to cobble one together out of most anything.

The14thDr

May 31, 2017, 07:34 am #9 Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:04 am by The14thDr
It's not the best quality, but here's one more image of the Stattenheim remote, cropped and enlarged.
IMG_1876.PNG

I'm going to make a couple of sketches based on what I can see in the available reference, the get all your opinions on it before I start working on a build.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

EDIT: here's my sketch of what I think the remote looks like. What do you all think?
IMG_1878.JPG
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Rassilons Rod

May 31, 2017, 11:01 am #10 Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:06 am by rassilonsrod
I think the gold connectors are attached on a plastic fin.

something along these lines:

edge-connector-gold-1-940x705.jpg

I did think in black, perhaps like an old mobile phone adapter, but couldn't find a pic on google, yet.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

troughtonstrousers

Yes it's a good prop here's mine

IMG_3372.JPG

The14thDr

May 31, 2017, 02:32 pm #12 Last Edit: Sep 22, 2018, 12:38 am by The14thDr
Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 31, 2017, 11:01 am
I think the gold connectors are attached on a plastic fin.

I did think in black, perhaps like an old mobile phone adapter, but couldn't find a pic on google, yet.

I think you might be onto something there. Looking back at the photos above, there does appear to be something behind the gold connectors.

I'll have to get cracking on my replica ASAP - it seems I'm a little late to the party with this one! ;D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Jun 28, 2017, 08:12 pm #14 Last Edit: Jun 28, 2017, 08:12 pm by galacticprobe
Your images didn't come through for some reason, elkad, but I've got a similar one:

2ndDoctor-StattenheimRemoteControl-01.jpg

I think it matches 14th's second version rather nicely.

Dino.