The Classic Sonic Screwdriver: My Research (comments)

Started by cathlyn847, Aug 08, 2009, 03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cathlyn847

Aug 08, 2009, 03:36 pm Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 09:47 am by Scarfwearer
Brilliant research job Purp! I loved every word and have no doubt your conclusion is correct.
Thanks for sharing.   Cat
What would the Doctor do?

Rox

Aug 09, 2009, 06:49 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:39 pm by scarfwearer
Absolutely fascinating, Purple.  My dad is really into Gerry Anderson (he's a collector) so this is doubly interesting!
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

purpleblancmange

Aug 08, 2009, 04:55 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:17 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: cathlyn847 on Aug 08, 2009, 03:36 pmBrilliant research job Purp! I loved every word and have no doubt your conclusion is correct.
Thanks for sharing.   Cat

Thanks for your comment, much appreciated.

I'm not claiming any authority on the subject, just going with the flow on the information given to me by a variety of reputable sources who were involved with the prop at the time, plus my own observations and research.  Basically, it's just my current thinking given what evidence I have to date.

Who knows, more stuff may surface given enough time - it usually does.

kiwidoc

Aug 08, 2009, 11:20 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:17 pm by scarfwearer
Sounds 100% correct to me Purple - I don't think that anyone here would dream of arguing with you when it comes to WHO props but the research you've done is unique and seems to back up your conclusions completely.   Thanks for sharing with us all!

purpleblancmange

Aug 09, 2009, 08:27 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:17 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks for the continued replies all.

Glen, if people want to debate this issue, they can - as I said, I'm not claiming to be an authority on the subject, just reporting back what I've uncovered.  Research of this nature is fairly organic, it can grow and evolve, but to date, I feel that I've come to a natural conclusion... until anything else crops up.  Maybe something will, maybe it won't.  Who knows?

Meantime, the office at Shepperton seems to have closed down in the last few years as that was my first port of call in contacting David.  It took a fair old amount of digging to finally reach him, but from there on in, all kinds of doors opened up.  I must admit, anything to do with Thunderbirds or Anderson stuff is totally new ground to me, so much of the time I tended to feel like I was fumbling around in the dark and took various potshots hoping to strike lucky.  Luckily, that paid off.

If I find any further info or if anyone else does, perhaps they could post it up here.

Dematerialiser

Aug 09, 2009, 06:11 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:18 pm by scarfwearer
Nice one Purp, some very interesting prop-archaeology there! Just goes to show what you can find out with some names, a phone and perseverance :D

ThisJustinOnline

Aug 09, 2009, 06:46 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:18 pm by scarfwearer
Great read! Prop hunting/ recreation is fun for me as well, and with this prop many WANT it to be the activators, but if they are custom made as you think, then there goes that!

People will argue from grainy pictures to this that and the other thing. For YEARS, people though Obi-Wans lightsaber in Star Wars was an old bike grip....after the Grenade was figured out, whamo, complete change!

chrisrowand123

Aug 08, 2009, 06:14 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:20 pm by scarfwearer
That was a fascinating article Purple.
Thanks.. :)

meantimebob

Aug 09, 2009, 12:52 am #8 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 09:20 pm by scarfwearer
Excellent stuff there, Purple. I had no idea it was the same prop all the time.

Interesting about David Lane too. Is the LFJ office still over at Shepperton? He always had a big Thunderbirds movie poster on his wall I remember.

galacticprobe

Feb 27, 2010, 06:30 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 06:36 am by galacticprobe
I concur with all comments. (Sorry... military background showing there.) Outstanding research on this classic that we've all been in love with. (Just a quick note: The first pic of the "activator" - the one based on the 1967 prototype - bears strong resemblance to Dr. McCoy's hypo from the original "Star Trek" series, although "Trek" was in its end of first/start of second season by 1967 and it makes me wonder which was the influence in that design. Where as the later activator labeled "Date of Release 1994", long after the Pertwee sonic appeared, bears strong resemblance to that classic sonic, and maybe that design was even influenced by it? We all know how life tends to imitate fiction, especially when fiction produces something perceived as "ultra cool.")

Again, superb sleuthing, Purple! (And I'm actually curious to have you dissect my take on the Force Field Generator just to see how far on or off the mark I was.)

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lespaceplie

Any chance of reproducing the original post? I never read about this research as I've not had the design to construct a sonic until now.

Scarfwearer

I converted the original post into an article at the top of this board's topic list.
Here's the direct link: [ref topic=1158]The Classic Sonic Screwdriver: My Research[/ref].

Crispin

vortexsurfer

So why is it that Andrew Beech (the current props curator) is claiming that the prop in the Cardiff Experience is the original - and that the Pertwee sonic also on display was always a different prop?

I spoke to him during the Official Convention in March this year (having already read this article) and he said that there was more that one prop because no production would ever use a prop that couldn't be replaced in case something happened to it. He also said that the Screwdriver prop being stolen from JNT's desk was a fan myth! I stopped myself from getting into an arguement with him on this point since I wanted to handle the props, but upon inspection they really did look like reproductions - not a mark or blemish on them. And certainly no deep gauge in the side that is evident on every screen appearence!

Any thoughts?

deck5

If my memory serves me, JNT himself talks about the theft on film as part of a DVD extra.

DoctorWho8

Our old friend, Purple, had the opportunity to take ownership of the sonic prop.  But it was stolen from JNT's office before he could get it.  JNT even asked Purple if he came and got it, but it was not possible due to where Purple was living at the time.  But Purple is pretty darn sure through looking at all available photos that only one prop was used.  Heck, I even want to say JNT mostly confirmed that when Purple was taking measurements of it to make a replica from.  Plus Andrew Beech is a bit close-minded.  Even when presented with the evidence and even testimony from people who worked in the props department, he sticks to his "official" take.  I could go on, but I'll let it go there.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff