Apr 25, 2024, 08:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Movie TARDIS Indeed!

Started by typeforte, Jul 03, 2005, 09:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewkent

Jan 06, 2012, 08:05 pm #30 Last Edit: Jan 06, 2012, 08:08 pm by andrewkent
A friend of mine worked on "Ocean in the Sky" and can confirm that this looks like the box they filmed with.  He remembers the Director, saying it was the Cushing Box (he's no idea if it was).  My friend had it in his house for a while and helped repair it!  He thinks he also took this photo of the box in the Marine Hotel, Tankerton, Kent.

anson

Jan 07, 2012, 08:55 pm #31 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2012, 08:59 pm by anson
I can confirm that the owner of the Who shop has had that box since 1984, it originally resided in Wapping when she started her business.
I can also state that Alexandra isn't the sort of person to be intentionally telling fibs. it was sold to her as the Cushing box and she obviously believed the seller.

fedora

Its the same scenario as the mysterious police box purchased by the sun was that an original? i have my doubt's . Have only seen one original and that is in the hands of Andrew beech.
But it was just a police box !

Mark

The one the Sun bought was apparently the one used in "more than 30 years in the TARDIS", and I'm sure there is a link around these pages somewhere.

If I remember correctly, and I am positive someone will correct me if not, that box was originally linked to the Cushing movies before it was figured it couldn't be.

By all accounts I'm sure it has been said it is a really solid well made build, so I guess it can't be an original BBC TARDIS!

DoctorWho8

And the More than 30 Years TARDIS went to Tom Baker's promo people and got fixed up with a new roof.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

anson

Something else that I've just remembered too...

I visited Pinewood studios twice in 1985 - they were filming 'Aliens' and the 'Little shop of horrors' at the time. In one of the storage areas near the armoury there was a Police box.
I can't remember much about the overall configuration of it though  -  I didn't know a TYJ from a Brachacki at that point... 

Food for thought and obviously unrelated to the box in East ham.

superrichi1a

It seems to be a well-established convention that owners of such boxes always report it to be an old BBC prop (I forget - there was another thread on here similar to this about a Forbidden Planet shop that was claiming they owned and old prop - anyone remember it?). Even to the point when I went to the Land's End Exhibition, a worker there told me quite metter-of-factly that the "bbc/doctorwho.co.uk" mock-up box was a refurbished old prop.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

darren79

I was watching the Graham Williams era documentary on the Ribos Operation DVD and it showed a picture from a late 70's DWAS convention and what was sitting on the stage...

xUjW6.jpg

DoctorWho8

Wow, that was already knackered.  Oh and I see a young Jeremy Bement on the left.

deck5

Quote from: darren79 on May 02, 2012, 09:45 pm
I was watching the Graham Williams era documentary on the Ribos Operation DVD and it showed a picture from a late 70's DWAS convention and what was sitting on the stage....

That looks like a fan-made TARDIS to me.  What do you think?

galacticprobe

May 03, 2012, 05:36 am #40 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:38 am by galacticprobe
It certainly looks like one. Either that or it was a not-so-well patched up original prop that someone got his hands on. Notice the top signs (on the two sides that we can see) are missing the "Public Call" part, and the font for the "Police Box" is way off from anything seen in the series: Classic, TVM, or New. It also looks like the windows (at least the ones we can see on the left door) are either completely clear, or have nothing in them (glass, plexi or otherwise).

Although, considering the timeframe, you've got to give them credit for trying.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

darren79

Being clearer, it's the Who Shop and DWAS film box as seen on the previous page, I'm certain.

galacticprobe

May 03, 2012, 08:04 pm #42 Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:04 pm by galacticprobe
Well, you can't see much of it in the above photo, but if it is the same one as on the previous page, then the Who Shop has done some decent repair/restoration work on it, especially with the Top Signs.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

domvar

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on May 02, 2012, 10:08 pm
Wow, that was already knackered.  Oh and I see a young Jeremy Bement on the left.

And a young Ian Levine in the middle

type40plus

I've just come across this post and found it fascinating.
I don't know if this has any bearing on what has been said here already but here goes.
In the very early 80's I was asked to build a console for the new DWAS film based on the Robots of Death story, at the same time I was asked if I could repair a police box they had, I said yes !!!! The console build diary is on this website for those who are interested.
When the box was delivered to my garage it was in basically 10 bits - base, roof, 4 sides and 4 corner posts. It was in a terrible state and there seemed to be a lot of hardboard used for the recessed panels but the overall structure ie corner posts etc were very solid. I was told this was the Cushing box and at the time I believed them as I think it was white inside but I could be wrong. As it turned out the rebuild was too much for me and they gave it to someone else to repair. I was then told it was used at a Panopticon and apparently was also the box outside the theatre in Tunbridge Wells when there was a Dr Who Panto on during the very early 80's, my wife and went to it but I can't remember if I took any pics.
I can't remember much else about this box whether the door opened out or in etc, but I have a feeling the box talked about in this post could be the box in my garage.
That's it, hope it helped and not confused you.