Apr 19, 2024, 06:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference pictures: Mk V Console (2005)

Started by Scarfwearer, May 13, 2009, 11:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

The tri-lobe hub thing (there are two of them on this console - is it a tripod top?  Doubtful but they have that look..)  also shows up in Captain Jack's ship in Episode 10 - just behind the replicator:
Looks like it has a hard drive spindle on the centre, covering the hole.
This post might be moved one day if that unit is ever identified and gets it's own thread..

vlcsnap-2013-02-21-16h35m56s14.png

galacticprobe

Feb 21, 2013, 06:02 am #16 Last Edit: Feb 21, 2013, 06:35 am by galacticprobe
Actually, there are three of them on the console, or at least that's how it started out: two were on one rib, the lower of those two having a caster cup covering its top; the third was on the rib just below the sextant.

The reason some of us wondered if they might be hubs from some sort of tripod is because as seen in this photo:
TripodHub01.jpg
the red arrow shows the "dimples" where the pins to hold the legs might have been, while the yellow arrow shows an opening where the legs themselves may have been inserted, with that upper part of the opening slot acting as a "stop" so the legs could only splay so far out. (I wish I could find the photo where I'd seen this from a lower, closer angle; you can see a "pin", or rod, running across the center of that opening from dimple to dimple.)

Also, in this photo:
TripodHub02.jpg
the yellow arrow is pointing to an opening where the spindle of whatever the tripod may have been for could be inserted. (At this size, maybe something for a piece of surveying equipment?)

And as with the one on Captain Jack's ship, the above tri-lobed thingy (below the sextant) also had one of those hard drive spindles covering the top opening in the early Eccleston era. (Not quite sure when that spindle went missing.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

type63

the doctor who2

Mar 03, 2013, 09:42 pm #18 Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013, 09:52 pm by the doctor who2
I was having a rummage around on the internet and found some photos of the TARDIS interior being built, hopefully i haven't repeated any images already uploaded. There are also some of the TARDIS Exterior too and ill put that in the relevant section as soon as.

d9-229.jpg

d9-227.jpg

d9-221.jpg

d9-220.jpg

d9-219.jpg

d9-217.jpg

d9-214.jpg

d9-216.jpg

d9-211.jpg

d9-209.jpg

d9-204.jpg

d9-203.jpg

d9-134.jpg

d9-135.jpg

d9-141.jpg

d9-148.jpg

d9-201.jpg

d9-198.jpg

d9-197.jpg

d9-191.jpgd9-189.jpgd9-190.jpgd9-193.jpgd9-228.jpg
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

DoctorWho8

Most excellent.  Haven't seen most of these before.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Mar 04, 2013, 06:32 am #20 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2013, 06:32 am by galacticprobe
Ditto! And I'd thought I found all there was to be had of this beauty! Thank you! Thank you-thank you-thank you!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

FloppyDiskNinja

I find these images the most interesting, mostly because they were never on tv.  ;D
nice pics thanks for sharing

-FloppyDiskNinja

the doctor who2

Mar 04, 2013, 10:42 am #22 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2013, 10:43 am by the doctor who2
Quote from: FloppyDiskNinja on Mar 04, 2013, 08:02 am
I find these images the most interesting, mostly because they were never on tv.  ;D
nice pics thanks for sharing

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 04, 2013, 06:32 am
Ditto! And I'd thought I found all there was to be had of this beauty! Thank you! Thank you-thank you-thank you!

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Mar 04, 2013, 01:24 am
Most excellent.  Haven't seen most of these before.

No Problem guys, i was quite surprised when i stumbled upon them, weren't expecting to find them :)
Knew they would come in handy on here :)
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

slidin_sidewayz

Fascinating to see that the internal support beams appeared to be internally lit! At least that must have been the plan. We all now know that the coral effect was what we saw. Unless they stayed lit up regardless... Can't say i noticed the beams glowing.  ???  And I have seen some of those construction pics before and wondered who's clever idea it was to fill in the gaps between the "roundel" panels with the coral effect, seeing as how they didn't manage to cut them slightly tapered at the top so they actually fitted well. Cool pics nonetheless!   :D

superrichi1a

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on Mar 04, 2013, 11:06 am
Fascinating to see that the internal support beams appeared to be internally lit! At least that must have been the plan. We all now know that the coral effect was what we saw. Unless they stayed lit up regardless... Can't say i noticed the beams glowing.  ???  And I have seen some of those construction pics before and wondered who's clever idea it was to fill in the gaps between the "roundel" panels with the coral effect, seeing as how they didn't manage to cut them slightly tapered at the top so they actually fitted well. Cool pics nonetheless!   :D

You can see the pillars glowing throughout most of Series 1 and 2 - the original plan was that they would alternate colour to create different moods within the TARDIS, with this effect most notable in "Bad Wolf" and again in "The Parting of the Ways" when they are lit up purple, however it doesn't really show through the coral effect much except around the outermost seam lines where the paint would be thinner.
I believe it was between Series 2 and Series 3 that they brought in extra lighting to the TARDIS, to move it away from the hard industrial look Eccles had suited and make it look warmer, lighter and with a spirit of adventure like with Tennant (hence the console continued to evolve as The Doctor continued his travels). The dim lights in the coral were then all but lost in the mix. I believe this is where the myth of 2 console rooms also springs from, as under Eccles the room looked distinctly pale with strong alien green hues, almost like underneath the sea, whereas Tennant's looked to be a soft orange with glowing elements of green. (I prefer the latter ;))

> Feel free to correct meif I got any of that wrong guys!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Mar 05, 2013, 05:12 am #25 Last Edit: Mar 05, 2013, 05:16 am by galacticprobe
Now I'll have to go back and watch those Eccleston episodes again (twist my arm) and pay attention to the glow from those buttresses. I always thought that was created by filtered spots shone on them. Now I see that it came from within them? Oh yeah; I really have to go through Series 1 again!

I'm also fascinated to see that the walls had no "solid" bottom to them. There is/was just that blue and orange/red tubing weaved in and out through the wall support bars. I knew you could see light filtering through the tubing, but I'd always thought there was a backing to that (i.e. wall bottom) with lighting - like that rope lighting - running behind the tubing. I'm sure that made it critical to ensure that no stagehands wandered behind the set during filming, lest their movements be glimpsed between the gaps in the layers of tubing.

As for those wall panels... I would love to get hold of one that's the right size to drop into a 2' x 4' trougher ceiling light unit! I'd even settle for one that would fit into a 2' x 2' unit. (If I knew how to make one of those hexels, and how to vac-form things, I'd make my own. Heck, I'd make enough 2' x 4' versions for my whole ceiling! <laughter like Renfield follows>)

Dino.

TheOncomingStorm

It's weird but that interior seems to be a lot smaller than I remember. I wonder why they had to cut it down for the experience? (I've not been yet but I have seen pictures and they make me a little sad!)

These are great images though. Great finds!

~Storm

Kingpin

It was too tall for the exhibition space.

FloppyDiskNinja

May 03, 2013, 11:38 am #28 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 11:39 am by FloppyDiskNinja
Funny seeing the skeleton like this - thanks BioDoctor900 for the link ( http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/tardis+console
)
tumblr_lt34oxagHG1qi4dd8o1_500.jpg

DarthPotato

Jan 07, 2014, 06:17 pm #29 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 08:10 pm by dannox
I came across this image while reading the Doctor Who: The Vault book. The builders used the model for reference.
(Sorry if the image is a bit small.)
2005 TARDIS Model.png