Mar 29, 2024, 11:58 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference pictures: Mk IV Console (1996)

Started by Scarfwearer, May 13, 2009, 11:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvis Gump

One of the things that strikes me about this console is how the rotor column in the 96 movie seems to have been somewhat replicated in the 2005-2009 with the acrylic tubes and rings that hold them in place replicated within the overall containing tube. It seems like whoever designed NST console did this consciously because they are too similar to be a coincidence.

There seems to be one of those clear acrylic disks with six holes that held the individual hollow tubes in place inside the 11th Doctor time column, at least that I think I noticed in "The Eleventh Hour". I thought at the time this meant they had probably scavenged the mechanism that made the upper part of the tubes go up and down from the previous console, but then in the Video Diaries thing I can see clearly that Tennant's set was still standing while they filmed the bits with Amy floating outside the TARDIS for "The Beast Below" so I'm kinda confused by that.

It's rather interesting to look at all the consoles and reference pictures that show so much detail one could hardly see back in the day. It's also rather fascinating to look at all the switches and dials that form such strangely un-ergonomic control layouts. But then it's always been kinda fun to look at the controls of 'computers' or 'cockpits' or 'bridges' in sci-fi in general. Rummaging thru technology's trash-bin was the way for so long it's become a meme.

I remember initially hating the junky look of the NST console until at the time I re-watched some of the 5th Doctor serials after the 5 Doctors episode that had the really insane amount of buttons on it. It reminds me of the kinds of dedicated switch for every possible function like old Apollo Command Modules or indeed the Space Shuttle had. It looked fantastic in the early 80's, but now thinking on how home computers were emerging at that time with the idea of multifunction graphic interfaces it too seem quaint.

There a lot of design cues the NST console and control room seem to take from the 1996 movie of grander scale for the console room, the time column that reaches to the ceiling and yet in 1996 when whoever designed the TARDIS interior had a chance to go really ALIEN with the look of it in a grand way, they went H.G Wells, Jules Verne on the whole thing. Up close all the retro, analog controls just look silly to me, but then one can rationalize that the 7th Doctor did this in a fit of nostalgic whimsy I suppose.

Being reminded of the mostly forgotten SIDRAT in another thread here makes me wonder if in future productions there can every be a truly alien looking console room for the TARDIS? The Victorian flavor here was interesting, but can one imagine a console room that doesn't look like it was built by set designers raiding the rubbish bins of our technological and cultural past?

galacticprobe

Dec 20, 2010, 06:46 am #16 Last Edit: Dec 20, 2010, 06:46 am by galacticprobe
The best I've found is this thread here, from our member Deck5:

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1141.0

It's very detailed and should provide a good start reading-wise. You could also check with any modelling clubs on your area, or have a browse through "model making" or "resin casting" in your local library's data base for some books on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

amachielson

Just wondering if you have made any castings of the ESCUTCHEON Window for Wooden Sonora Tube Radio. I would love to be able to get a couple of castings for my future build.

amachielson

Has anyone found a place to buy the large jeweled indicator lights on the console?

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: amachielson on Jun 23, 2011, 06:13 pm
Just wondering if you have made any castings of the ESCUTCHEON Window for Wooden Sonora Tube Radio. I would love to be able to get a couple of castings for my future build.
I'm afraid I haven't had time to figure out how to cast the Sonora Radio escutcheon just yet I've had many other projects that require attention. However I did find a Radio Store that Claims to have Sonora Radio escutcheons http://www.oldradiosrus.com/ it's on their Specials page http://www.oldradiosrus.com/specials.html they don't have a picture up but you should check with them if these are the same escutcheons or not.

ukwookie

In the absence of any castings of the Sonora escutcheon, could I ask how tall the piece is?  ;D

Tony

lespaceplie

Feb 19, 2012, 11:05 pm #22 Last Edit: Feb 19, 2012, 11:10 pm by lespaceplie
I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but the scanner is a 1948 model 651P Capehart-Farnsworth television. They're not easy to find (I've collected old tv sets before).

warmcanofcoke

ukwookie

Thanks, that's perfect! And very, very useful... ;D

Tony

too_many_cars

Feb 20, 2012, 04:50 pm #25 Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 04:51 pm by too_many_cars
Quote from: lespaceplie on Feb 19, 2012, 11:05 pm
I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out, but the scanner is a 1948 model 651P Capehart-Farnsworth television. They're not easy to find (I've collected old tv sets before).

Thanks for finding the exact model!  We were talking to a lot of people at Gallifrey One yesterday (including the cast of the film) who were asking about the pull down TV, so that's one of the next projects after the rotor.  If anyone spots a cheap example I would very much appreciate a heads up via email, and we'll see if we can find you a screen used whatsit or other as finders fee.

Cheers

--Brian

warmcanofcoke

Feb 20, 2012, 06:32 pm #26 Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 06:40 pm by warmcanofcoke
tvset.jpg
tvset2.jpg

Kingpin

Frankly, the shape and components look so simple that you'd probably be able to build a copy for a fraction of the cost, leaving room for you to design your own internal layout that best suits what you'll be needing from it.

lespaceplie

Feb 20, 2012, 08:38 pm #28 Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 08:41 pm by lespaceplie
The arrangement of knobs of the screen-used scanner is still a little different than the 651P. There might have been some variation in production. I agree it wouldn't be too hard to replicate. Even the tube is flat.

deck5