Mar 29, 2024, 06:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference pictures: Mk III Console (1983)

Started by Scarfwearer, May 13, 2009, 12:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

May 13, 2009, 12:00 pm Last Edit: Aug 26, 2011, 08:01 pm by Scarfwearer
5DOCStbfSMALL.jpg
Quote from: PurpleBlancmange board=faq thread=12 post=29 time=1234259433The Five Doctors:  Two new much updated fibre glass consoles are built, a studio version and a rehearsal version - the latter has no rotor at all and no controls. The rotor mechanism built previously is placed into the new studio prop.  At the time, this prop looked very high tech, much more than it ever had before.

Please feel free to add photo references for this prop here, making sure that your photo is of the prop used during the correct era above.

For a full summary of the console history, see Purple's FAQ entry.

Scarfwearer

May 18, 2009, 07:35 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:48 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: lungman board=discuss thread=174 post=1502 time=1240273269Hi again!

To avoid clogging up the forum, I've decided to just post links to all of the reference pics instead.  Enjoy!

th_ac5.jpg th_cap002.jpg th_cap005.jpg th_cap006.jpg

th_new-3.jpg th_Untitled-01.png th_Untitled-02.png th_Untitled-03.png

th_Untitled-06.png th_Untitled-07.png th_Untitled-09.png th_Untitled-11.png

th_Untitled-12.png th_Untitled-13.png th_Untitled-14.png th_Untitled-16.png

th_Untitled-19.png th_Untitled-26.png th_Untitled-30.png th_Untitled-31.png

Hope these are of some help to you all! :)

I've quoted lungman's posting here, and replaced the links with thumbnails.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

May 19, 2009, 07:53 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:48 am by scarfwearer
That first picture is simply beautfiul. I love how the lighting is more subtle. Where's it from?

In my opinion, there's no reason why a room of this style wouldn't be right at home in the new series, with well done lighting.

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Teletran

Aug 18, 2009, 11:06 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2011, 11:20 am by Scarfwearer
I've been doing some scrounging for reference before I dive back in with my own console and thought I'd share some good shots I got of this prop:

[noURL=http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doctorwho457.png]doctorwho457.th.png[/URL]
[noURL=http://img188.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doctorwho456.png]doctorwho456.th.png[/URL]
[noURL=http://img193.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doctorwho465.png]doctorwho465.th.png[/URL]
[noURL=http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doctorwho469.png]doctorwho469.th.png[/URL]

EDIT: URLs temporarily disabled due to virus issues - SW

They're thumbnails so click for larger versions. The top two are from "Resurrection Of The Daleks" and the bottom two are from "Attack Of The Cybermen", mostly control reference and an angle which (perhaps unwisely) shows the blank panel.

When I was going through my dvds to find these shots I noticed that the cover of "Logopolis" has an error on it, they must have been working on "Mark of the Rani" at the same time and you can still see some of Kate O'Mara's head.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

Teletran

Do we have pictures of the internal door of this set?

Teletran

Jan 29, 2011, 01:28 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2011, 08:57 am by Scarfwearer
I'm just going to copy some images from the archive:
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Obviously things changed over time but this is the best reference I know of the layout of the console and I thought newer members might not know about it.

Edit: bah, humbug! there's an error preventing me from posting images from other parts of the site because they show up as .php format

EDIT: But there are other ways.... :) - SW

dean_heald

Looking at these pics of the prop, I never realised two things:

1.  The buttons are glued into place, they are not proper spring loaded keys, or don't look like it from the close up pics.
2.  The two non screen panels had screens with lights in the middle sections - the panel facing the doors had red borders and the panel facing the interior door had yellow border screens. I had always assumed the other panel would have also had these screens - but it doesn't. Indeed, the panels facing the back walls of the console room are not as well designed as the four that regularly appeared on screen.

This is the one I made loads of cardboard versions of when I was young! Keep wondering if I should do another one now :)

warmcanofcoke

The Awakening
0007A.jpg

I just noticed the six sided panel on Turlough's chest. It looks like it fits perfectly into the recess he's currently reaching into.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Aug 26, 2011, 02:23 pm #8 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2011, 02:29 pm by warmcanofcoke
Planet of Desire Planet of Fire components
0009A.jpg
note the knob (above)
0013.jpg
0015.jpg
0011.jpg
0019.jpg

Kingpin

It looks like each segment of the underside has a subtle hexagon on the grey section, it'd be interesting to see if they were all designed to open, or if it was just that one used by Mark Strickson:

03fivedoctorsconsolepro.jpg
04fivedoctorsconsolepro.jpg

Now, what's that mechanical armature visible in the space usually inhabited by the monitor?

warmcanofcoke

Aug 26, 2011, 07:39 pm #10 Last Edit: Aug 27, 2011, 12:41 am by warmcanofcoke
Good Eye on the hexagons Kingpin  :D I'm not sure about the armature thingy. I guess it was something that held the TV Monitor in place maybe, or possible a microphone stand behind the panel in the workshop. (it is near the Speaker used in Battlefield ... interestingly enough)

* My dad who is into crystallography has informed me  the three dimensional object on Turlogh's chest it is technically an irregular Octahedron and not a hexagon ... "thanks Dad"  :P

Kingpin

It can't be an Octagon, irregular or other, it hasn't got 8 sides.  I can see how that conclusion may've been reached, but it's not flat, it's an extruded shape that has height to it, which is what's produced the "7th" and "8th" sides.

BeeblePete

Jan 18, 2012, 11:59 am #12 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012, 12:17 pm by petertheta
Given the, um, other distractions, I don't think I'd ever really taken a good look at the blatant absence of detail on the panel of this console aimed at the back wall. Here in Attack of the Cybermen they've got the camera deep into the set and there it all is... or isn't.

In the last shot, what looks like something behind that featureless monitor housing is apparently the strange decoration you can see on top in some of these other shots.

For scarf-wearing fanatical completeness I've included shots of all the monitor panels, as I'm interested in the circle to the right of each monitor. At some point after this story a tatty little round piece of screen gets glued into one of these circles. It gave McCoy's doctor a speaker to listen to in one story, if I recall correctly. It's still there in the DW Experience at Olympia. Can't abide it :)

+ Pete

16circle.jpg

17circle.jpg

18pentacircle.jpg

19rearscreen.jpg

20circle.jpg

21screentop.jpg

22rearsreen.jpg

darren79

Jul 28, 2012, 11:18 am #13 Last Edit: Jul 28, 2012, 11:21 am by darren79
The latest DVD of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy has some behind the scenes shots of the TARDIS set (it's final appearance), as erected in a tent at BBC Elstree when the BBC Television Studios closed due to an asbestos scare during production.

PDVD_000-6.jpg
PDVD_001-5.jpg
PDVD_002-4.jpg

Lungman

Thanks for posting these pics, Darren. I've always been on the lookout for photos of "behind the scenes" - particularly the interior of the TARDIS. I'd love to see a documentary of the TARDIS set and the console being assembled as that would just be awesome! Does anybody have any other pics like these ones?