Apr 24, 2024, 04:46 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Scarfwearer Baker console plans

Started by Scarfwearer, Aug 22, 2009, 11:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

Aug 22, 2009, 11:48 am Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 08:13 pm by Scarfwearer
Here's a reference to the Tom Baker season 15 console plans that I drew up.
console-mk4.gif

All measurements are guesswork and subject to discussion.

Crispin

lespaceplie

Jun 23, 2010, 07:11 pm #1 Last Edit: Jun 28, 2010, 01:23 am by lespaceplie
I've gone back to refresh the plans for this console. The starting point was my old 1990s interpolation (not accurate but well-proportioned) updated with hints from Crispin's plans, advice from Purp (and others) plus some fresh interpolation. Here's the start:

console15wip2.jpg

This is definitely a work in progress. The controls are merely my best guesses and interpretation of the 1983 Technical Manual. Actually, that source got more right than wrong. Crispin's are very good with the primary trouble area being the underside fins. Stay tuned for more including a radically accurate time rotor since we now know so much more about it.

Scarfwearer

DarthMoose74

Any measurements on what angles things are at?
It this based on the console you have already built?

Scarfwearer

(sorry for the late reply - I'm on the road a lot at the moment and sometimes out of reach of the internet.)

My console was originally built in 1999-2001 before I discovered that there was anyone else who shared this particular form of insanity... I approximated some plans, built the console and then drew up an exploded view (http://relative-dimensions.net/v2/console/index.htm) based on measuring what I built. It's not very accurate - in fact my console is a full 8 feet from corner to corner, which is larger than any DW TV console has ever been (AFAIK).

A few years later I revisited the reference pictures and screen shots and produced the plan at the top of the thread (and several others) with more research and more attention to detail. It's still just a best guess, and I'm sure it could use improvement.

Lespaceplie is producing some better plans with info from several sources including some input from my plans.

Angles are not generally terribly useful during construction, as slight changes in small angles have a disproportionate effect on linear dimensions - you're better off using widths and heights - this is generally true of TARDIS roofs as well, but with 4 sides instead of 6.

If you're really curious about the angles, try the console calculator on the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=30.0 board.

Crispin

DarthMoose74

Nov 13, 2011, 09:21 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2011, 04:34 pm by DarthMoose74
Thanks Crispin!

Does Lespaceplie have his plans done or is he still working on them?

I love your TARDIS console, but one thing I was wondering, did you leave out the angled pieces on the underside of the console?

DarthMoose74

Ah! I see Lespaceplie's plans a few posts above. I am still trying to get used to the set up on these boards as some stuff is linked to old boards that no longer work. Like any project I like to get as much blueprint work done as possible but I see now some of this will be fill in the blanks as you build to get it "looking" right.

So please excuse my Noob questions if they have already been answered elsewhere on these boards. Just point me to the appropriate threads.

Here is one question....
For the time rotor, the mailing tubes that Crispin used. What is the diameter and length of the tubes?

Thanks in advance for any and all help everyone!

DarthMoose74

My console is slowly taking shape. I got most of the base done and have started on the top section.
I can't believe how big this thing really is!

I was still wondering one thing though, For the time rotor, the mailing tubes that Crispin used. What is the diameter and length of the tubes he used?

Scarfwearer

Quote from: DarthMoose74 on Feb 28, 2012, 04:47 pm
For the time rotor, the mailing tubes that Crispin used. What is the diameter and length of the tubes he used?

I think the mailing tubes that I used were 5" or 6", but that was just a guess based on the little info that I had at the time.
For a more accurate baker era time rotor, check out http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=282.0. Mark used 4" tubes, which appear to be spot on. The other dims he used are later in the thread.

Quote from: DarthMoose74 on Feb 28, 2012, 04:47 pm
My console is slowly taking shape. I got most of the base done and have started on the top section.

I can't believe how big this thing really is!

If you're making progress you should get a build diary going here: we want to see this!

It shouldn't be as large as my console: with the lack of info 12 years ago I built mine 96" from corner to corner. The info we have now suggests it should be quite a bit smaller... And yes, it's pretty huge.

Crispin

DarthMoose74

Thanks for the info Crispin!
I do not know how I missed that tread! Lots of good info in there that I skimmed over. Going to read it for real tonight. The rotor is way more detailed than I thought! Should be a fun challenge!

I used to have build logs on all the boards but they got hard to keep track of so I started my own page kinda like you did. I love your site and videos! Wish you would do an update on your site even if it says you have not done anything new with the control room.

Anywho here is a link to my blog where I am showing off the build....
www.R2-CM.com

prydonian

Hello! 

I'm just starting a build of this specific iteration of the console.  I cannot adequately express my gratitude that you guys have done so much work and research on it to share with all the builders out there!

I see Lespaceplie was working on updated plans about three years ago... Is there any more to see, or is that image the most accurate available info to date?

Thanks!

lespaceplie

I totally need to retouch that one. I'm terrible about finishing this stuff, but you've caught me at an active/motivated moment. Stay tuned.

DoctorWho8

Plus it will keep you from drowning in yarn-related topics. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

lespaceplie

I need to revise the Brachaki ones, too. You've convinced me that Purple is incorrect about 44" panels. The evidence points to 42" (and a possible smidge more due to how it's constructed).

For the refits, however, I'm willing to bet it's still 46" because of the diagram on page 30 of The Doctor's Effects. Not proof but certainly it's fuel for further photogrammetry. The controls diagrams on these plans are only for general placement. I haven't modified them since about 1997, at which time there were other things about the plans that were wrong, wrong, wrong! The same goes for the TARDIS and Dalek plans I had then. Less wrong than some other sources at the time but still wrong.

markofrani

Yes, those are the dimensions I've used for my model Pertwee console:
webconsolediag1.jpg
Still as you say, it might be worth checking!