Apr 18, 2024, 11:10 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference pictures: Mk II Console (1976)

Started by Scarfwearer, May 13, 2009, 11:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

If you brighten the image, it looks like the 'holes' have some common dark detail, which leads me to wonder whether they are holes, or something else. With so little reference material available, we may never know.
deadly-bright.jpg

Crispin

celation

Sep 11, 2011, 11:18 pm #31 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2011, 11:19 pm by celation
I'm with Dino too. They line up with the button positions above, and you can see the lighter back edge of the hole.

Oh - apologies for removing them from Marc's diagram for my version. Hadn't seen this snap before.

DoctorWho8

Also notice, the black backboard has a glossy look to it and not matte.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Scarfwearer

Hmmmm yup I think you're right. Looks like the dark detail is the back of the hole.

I've seen the shiny surface - used gloss paint on my replica! :)

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Sep 11, 2011, 11:55 pm #34 Last Edit: Sep 11, 2011, 11:57 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: celation on Sep 11, 2011, 11:18 pm
I'm with Dino too. They line up with the button positions above, and you can see the lighter back edge of the hole.

Oh - apologies for removing them from Marc's diagram for my version. Hadn't seen this snap before.

I hadn't noticed that you did... When I spotted them in this pic, I thought it was the first time I'd seen  them :D

I'm not sure now we have the brightened pic. I think they look like black twist knobs with a clear bit on top (perhaps a cover for some sort of label). But anyway, twist knobs is what I'm seeing.

This is the most likely candidate I could find on YT. Sometimes they have coloured plastic dots on top, I think they could just as easily have something clear.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/237704089/Bakelite_Knob_Plastic_Knob_Tuning_Knob.jpg

Anyway, I seem to be in the minority so I'll leave it now :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

I just found this superb image on Tragical History Tour that I thought should be shared. I don't think I've seen this one before...

d4-4m-159.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Dec 04, 2011, 07:24 am #36 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2011, 07:26 am by galacticprobe
That photo of the secondary control room is actually on page 52 in THE TARDIS HANDBOOK by Steve Tribe. (Although, in the HANDBOOK the photo is a little lighter.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Dec 04, 2011, 09:04 am #37 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2011, 09:05 am by rassilonsrod
Cool, I don't have it :(

I noticed two things from this photo.
1) Some of the roundels don't seem to be painted on the rims (look at the two about the stained glass roundels)
2) It looks like there might have been a third stained glass roundel that they painted over.

Also in this image you can see where the "fablon" was stuck together on the face of the roundel, this has always given me the "inlaid wood" vibe, much like the doors and panel covers on the console. You can see it most clearly on the panel to the right of the way outside.
d4-4m-176.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Just took many screen caps
they can be viewed here: http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/ConsoleImage/Season%2014/
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Rassilons Rod

Nice shot, not seen that one before. Interesting that you can't quite tell if it's one of the mirrored photos or not.
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Apr 01, 2012, 02:11 pm #41 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2012, 02:41 pm by galacticprobe
I'll go out on a limb here. Comparing this grab from warmcanofcoke...
AuxCon028.jpg
...and noticing the top-row-blue buttons to the right of the writing desk and top-row-amber to its left (the image I believe is from "The Deadly Assassin" so we know that one isn't mirrored), I would say the latest image posted (again by warmcanofcoke) is one of those mirrored images. (If you look at that image above from warmcanofcoke you can just make out the blue buttons on top of the left panel and you can easily see the amber ones on top on the right.)

Flipping (mirroring) warmcanofcoke's latest image to put the blue top row on the right and amber top row on the left...
AuxCon037.jpg
...the image now matches the panel layout that celation created in this thread here, http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3050.0#msgx33322, which was the only layout that could reconcile all of the "known" panel locations as seen in the episodes.

So, at least IMHO, that image was one of the mirrored ones.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Apr 01, 2012, 04:21 pm #42 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2012, 04:38 pm by warmcanofcoke
It is quite possible Dino - however they used to swap panels on this console - just have a look through the captures
AuxCon034.jpg
AuxCon004.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Apr 01, 2012, 04:33 pm #43 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2012, 04:36 pm by rassilonsrod
Dino, Hmmm yes, it certainly does feel a bit more comfortable that way round now that you've flipped it.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Apr 01, 2012, 04:21 pm
It is quite possible Dino - however they used to swap panels on this console - just have a look through the captures
AuxCon034.jpg

Remember, there was one panel we've never seen open. There could have been a duplicate panel. I don't know could be they did swap, could be both reasons.
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke