Mar 28, 2024, 11:16 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference pictures: Mk II Console (1976)

Started by Scarfwearer, May 13, 2009, 11:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

May 13, 2009, 11:46 am Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 08:11 pm by Scarfwearer
S14tbfSMALL.jpg
Quote from: PurpleBlancmange board=faq thread=12 post=29 time=1234259433Masque of the Mandragora:  A new much smaller console was built which in effect looked like a wooden writing desk as it had opening control panel flaps and no central rotor column.  Its designer (Barry Newbery) said this design was inspired by the writings of Jules Verne.  This prop was scrapped by BBC Effects Designer, Mat Irvine (stripped of all controls, smashed up and put in a skip) shortly after season 14, the only season in which it appeared.  Mat would later say that he deeply regretted doing this.

Please feel free to add photo references for this prop here, making sure that your photo is of the prop used during the correct era above.

For a full summary of the console history, see Purple's FAQ entry.

Scarfwearer

Sep 24, 2009, 08:16 am #1 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2010, 08:32 am by rassilonsrod
(EDIT: I've never understood why this photo always appears on every site and every google hit as a flipped image. Here it is the right war around :) -Marc)
d4-4m-23.jpg

(EDIT: Rest of this post is unchanged -Marc) :)

console14.jpg
NDVD_722.jpg
NDVD_727.jpg
oldconsole.jpg
robots_death.jpg
st--4m099.jpg st--4m271.jpg st--4p02.jpg
woodconsole3.gif

meantimebob

Sep 25, 2009, 01:43 am #2 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:31 am by scarfwearer
Here's a few pics of those rams. I can't work out what the area beneath the nose is, any ideas?

rams.jpg

kiwidoc

Sep 25, 2009, 07:39 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:31 am by scarfwearer
Hmm - you people with good eyes and sharp DVD players - I never even knew these were on the thing at all!    There seem to be door knockers around (on the 'net) of similar design - the dark at the bottom may be shadow on the beard from the nose or the nostrils?

Search google images for ramshead brass and you can see items like:

http://www.lassco.co.uk/?id=58&tx_evlasscoproductdetail_pi1%5Buid%5D=2480

and

http://brassbuilderhardware.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/103937101-100213066/Ram_s_Head_door_knocker.html

Scarfwearer

Sep 25, 2009, 07:46 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: meantimebob on Sep 25, 2009, 01:43 amHere's a few pics of those rams. I can't work out what the area beneath the nose is, any ideas?

These are much clearer pictures than I've seen before - thanks!
I was imagining this might be a door knocker or drawer/cabinet handle, so the 'mouth' might be the holes where the ring has been removed.

Crispin

Scarfwearer

Sep 25, 2009, 07:53 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
There are also little brass decorations at the top and bottom of the edges of the plinth - perhaps 1" in diameter.
It also turns out that the feet are traditional "Ball and Claw" designs like the feet of some bath tubs or Chippendale furniture, not just simple spheres.
There's more to this prop than first meets the eye.

Crispin

metrosonus

Oct 09, 2009, 07:32 pm #6 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 10:32 am by scarfwearer
the console & room ceartainly matched the feel of the series at that point.

do you know of the motivation for such a radical and temporary shift in the console room design?

if i recall from that season correctly, there's a few important conversations that take place in the room, but other than that it's seldom seen.

action_mat

I'm inclined to agree with you Crispin.  The more I look at it it does indeed seem like a ring has been removed.  I'm sure it was a door knocker, but it looks more like a gargoyle than a ram to me. 

rocket

I really loved that console room, it's got way more class than the white rooms. It's so much more interesting to watch. The only thing lacking is a column that rises and falls, which would have been a nice touch.
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

The Other

I like it too. Does anyone know how long they used it? Its not in any of the Baker episodes that I have, though there is some mention of having to leave it and go back to the first one.
The Other

rocket

Sadly it was only used for Season 14
Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.

galacticprobe

Dec 03, 2010, 06:12 pm #11 Last Edit: Dec 06, 2010, 07:52 am by galacticprobe
I've heard that most of the walls warped during storage between season 14 and 15, so they salvaged what parts of the walls they could, painted them white and used them in the hallways of the TARDIS after they went back to the "main" white console room in "The Invisible Enemy".

Sadly, the console was stripped of any usable bits and then broken up and chucked into a bin. I forget the man's name, but he later said his biggest regret was doing that, and wished he'd just set the console aside.

But if you look closely at the side views of those rams' heads, you can actually see the curled horns and long goat-like face of the ram, so I don't think they are gargoyles, but rams' heads as Crispin suggests. (Gargoyles usually have horns that stick almost straight outwards rather than curling around like those of a ram.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The Other

Its a shame that things like this console weren't saved :'(
The Other

Elvis Gump

I have a question about the high backed, armless chair over by the view screen. If memory serves that's from the very first TARDIS control room set, correct? I remember a thread where it was mentioned before and unless I'm crazy I think it was either from some other production or perhaps a commercially available chair?

I'm curious if this season was the last appearance of it and what ever became of the other chair that was in the First Doctor CR? These would be great props to try to make as well I think. Anyone have an info or threads where they've been discussed before?

I think it would be cool that a whole set of that armless chair shows up in the new series as perhaps part of dining set somewhere in the TARDIS or the other chair that had arms shows up if they ever show the TARDIS library.

Scarfwearer

Quote from: Elvis Gump on Dec 05, 2010, 11:15 pm
I have a question about the high backed, armless chair over by the view screen. If memory serves that's from the very first TARDIS control room set, correct? I remember a thread where it was mentioned before and unless I'm crazy I think it was either from some other production or perhaps a commercially available chair?

Perhaps you mean this one: [ref topic=1036]Knossos Chair[/ref]? If so, yes it was there in the first Doctor's control room.

Crispin