Apr 18, 2024, 08:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Motorising your beloved's Time Rotor (article comments)

Started by Lungman, Jan 10, 2008, 05:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lungman

Jan 10, 2008, 05:04 am Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010, 11:29 pm by Scarfwearer
G'day all!

I started this thread because I wanted to share with you my ideas and some photographs on how to add a mechanism to a Tardis Console build.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do the one from the current version, however, I'm sure for those of you who are building a classic series console, you (hopefully) may find this useful.

I'll break it down into sections and detail things as accurately as possible, and hopefully privide links to useful places where you may be able to find some of the gear.

All the best, and I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing the finished results of your builds! :)

karsthotep

Apr 22, 2008, 02:45 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 06:04 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Jarrod, awesome pictures its becoming much clearer now, thanks for those shots, I'll add those to my reference library, I look forward to more.  Thanks tons, 

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

dalethetimelord

Jan 10, 2008, 07:31 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 07:14 pm by scarfwearer
That would be AMAZING, thank you so much!  With a console build on the horizon for me in the not too distant that would be a VERY handy guide fella!  Oooh, you've made me grin!

karsthotep

Jan 11, 2008, 01:41 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 07:15 pm by scarfwearer
Ok, I see what you did there,  how did you attach the sliding door track to the aluminum square tube?  Is it welded or is it a two part epoxy?  Oh also, how long are the tubes? Thanks Jarrod

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Lungman

Jan 11, 2008, 11:37 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 07:15 pm by scarfwearer
Here are some answers to some questions that you all may have...

How long were the Aluminum tubes and how did you attach the sliding door rails to them? 
The rails had holes pre-drilled in them, so I just used a good-sized bolt to fasten it to the tube.  The tubes were 1100mm in length, though this may vary for your build. 

How did you fasten them to the floor in the base of your console?
I cut a square-shaped hole at the base level of the console, and poked the tube through. Be careful not to make to square cut too tight as when the tube flexes slightly with the movement of the rotor, it may make a creeking noise.  Mine did that, and I had to make the hole larger.  You can fasten the tube to the base any way you like.

;D

Lungman

Apr 12, 2008, 10:10 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 07:16 pm by scarfwearer
Hi everyone!

Finally, I'm on holiday, and have started stripping down my console to take some photos to add to this thread.  STAY TUNED!!  ;D

Rassilons Rod

Apr 13, 2008, 07:06 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 07:16 pm by scarfwearer
Great references there, looking forward to more :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

Apr 13, 2008, 03:23 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 07:16 pm by scarfwearer
Yaaayyyy, I am ready for the information, glad you have break and are willing to break down your console for reference pictures.  Thank you TONS, I can't tell you how much we all appreciate this.

Karsten

celation

I can't tell if this tutorial has been here for a couple of years or if it's just been posted.

Either way - thanks for that! It's going to come in very handy indeed.

C.

karsthotep

Hey Chris,

this is an older thread,  I think I saved all of Jarrod's photo's, actually know I have them I can repost them here if you people would like. Its been a while since this has had any posts in it.

Scarfwearer

Feb 11, 2010, 11:18 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 11, 2010, 11:27 pm by Scarfwearer
There were a couple of posts from Jarrod in this old thread that were intended to be a tutorial, but we didn't have a way at the time to present them specially so, now we do, I've extracted them to make an article. They are indeed a couple of years old.

Karsten, I think all the photos are in the tutorial above and most of Jarrods photos are in his gallery or build threads which are already here.

I have also renewed my new year resolution from last year to motorize my timerotor this year...

Crispin

celation

Cheers guys. I was beginning to wonder if I'd read it before. Very useful to have up as reference.

C.

dooctorwhofreak

davidnagel

Regards
David