News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My Console idea...

Started by ThisJustinOnline, Dec 18, 2007, 04:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisJustinOnline

Dec 18, 2007, 04:34 am Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:25 pm by Scarfwearer
Heya guys!

I thought I'd post this up to get some ideas and some feedback on the console I got permission to build this year, my wife and I are going to solidly work on and off on it.

We are going to take items from our favourite consoles, and definitly take from the haphazardness of the new console and add things as we find them.

My basic idea was to take my three favouite consoles and merge them somwhat.

The classic series shape and switches etc. The Secondary consoles wooden texture, and the new series organic look and came up with a slight looking like this:

console.jpg

The idea is that the coral edges will work like the NST Console, as will the blue areas, being all glowy and organic. The other areas will have switches, bobbles, dials, guages etc.

I noticed the new console had one length of the legs thicker so I incorporated that too.

And then alternating handle bars. :)

I HOPE to find a few parts of the NST console to add to mine....the twisty vice looking thing, and the lever that is usually pulled to materialize....heres hoping.

From the side the base I hope to simulate the NST with the coled around tubing as well.

We thought, due to this design if we leave the bottom accessible that is how we can wire and maintain it, rather than popping the tops...if that seems like a good idea.

Ideally I'd like a NST monitor and similar rotor...I have some thoughts on that...but that comes later for me really.

So what do you guys think?

handofomega

Jan 14, 2008, 12:42 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 06:03 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: primrodo board=console thread=1197952493 post=1200203269Well no ones beat anyone to the punch yet!

Great to hear someone else has had a similar idea though :)

Your idea for your room sounds great! It is basically what I was thinking as well, I would live to figure out that sketchup program to show what I would be going for, but very similar, except that I will have the NST style monitor....teh other regular monitor may have a TV in it, depending what we want for it.

If we get teh addition to the house we want I will be able to turn it all into a reality! Taking a page from Crispin though, there will be storage in the walls, and I have some ideas for that too, along with Police Box doors facing outside.

So we will see when that happens, for now however I am trying to figure out the console and the best way to build it and start adding crap to it :)

As soon as I get MY computer back (in the shop for repairs...) I plan on getting into the Google Sktch-up and finally making it a reality.   Well at least on the computer.  LOL!!! ;D

purpleblancmange

Dec 18, 2007, 08:34 am #2 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:23 pm by scarfwearer
My first post since being away and this is quite an interesting topic for me as you're planning a console very much in the same vein as the one I've been planning for quite some time now... I'm talking years here.

What I'm hoping to do is pretty similar in shape to yours, a hexagonal console with the "ribs" in between the panels, though because I'm not keen on the two fatter ribs, I've decided that they all should be of the same thickness.

The only thing so far that has stopped me even beginning the build is the central rotor column.  I've done some searching and so far the cheapest tube that I've found was just over £1000 and the most expensive was the same price as a brand new 5 series BMW - so that knocked that on the head.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel with this notion though, the chap I often work for tells me that there is a company in Italy that do these tubes at a very reasonable price and after Christmas, I'll look into this... it may be of help to your project too.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this new project of yours pans out.

chrisrowand

Dec 18, 2007, 09:46 am #3 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:23 pm by scarfwearer
Justin you are a brave man to attempt this one but  you are off to a good start with your drawing.
I have toyed with the idea of a scaled down NS console, but as Purple says, the column is the stumbling point. Well one of many!

As we all know the column terminates into the large funnel in the roof , so how far up do you take the design?
Will your console be freestanding, or fitted into part of a ceiling?  Then there is the issue about the sheer size & height of this thing. It's even taller without all the mesh floor panels that surround it. Probably 10feet tall?
I believe RTD called it a "huge radioactive muffin". Would you consider a scaled down version?

In it's favour, I daresay the actual finish & decoration on the console would be quite forgiving to work on.

A hybrid seems to be a practical way to go on this project. I know how determined you are and a man that can make a lovely  full size TARDIS can make anything. Hope it will work out for you.

karsthotep

Dec 21, 2007, 12:50 am #4 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:24 pm by scarfwearer
I like your design and amalgam approach,  I look forward to seeing this one get built.   My wife helps me with my build as well when she can.  Sometimes its good to have another pair of eyes trying to work out a problem. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

ThisJustinOnline

Dec 21, 2007, 03:36 am #5 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:24 pm by scarfwearer
Hey guys! Thanks for the positive replys!

Purple...great minds think alike I guess! After years of costuming, I found that sometimes assymetry is a fun characteristice and thusly I wanted to capture that slightly with this...though until recently I thought the ribs were all the same...

I have not thought 100% what I want to do for the rotor aside from having it fixed and the crystals inside to slide up and down...and figureing out a mechinism to do that too...just from the bottom mind you.

I may do a small rotor to start and make it larger when we get a space sloly for it to plug into the ceiling.  Definitly keep me in the loop for anything you find! I appreciate it :)

Chris, because of the hybridness of the console, I can do whatever I like, thank goodness! :) As I said ideally I'd like it to go to the ceiling, and I have gotten permission for a crispin inspired TARDIS room when we have the space...but for now it will have to be free standing..so I may just end up having a starter column and upgrading the length later.

If and when I get a room I will do a slight mesh floor, but the room will be designed otherwise like the secondary room...my favourite :)

Karst, it for sure always helps! My wife is pretty excited for this build...and being a custom shes looking forward to finding old and new controlly things to add to it, switches and gizmos whereever we like :)

We only want those handful of NST controls and a few classic ones and then free for all after that!

Thanks again guys, I know I will be hitting up for some help and opinions soon!

Merry Christmas :)

handofomega

Dec 30, 2007, 01:28 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:24 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: primrodo board=console thread=1197952493 post=1197952493Heya guys!

I thought I'd post this up to get some ideas and some feedback on the console I got permission to build this year, my wife and I are going to solidly work on and off on it.

We are going to take items from our favourite consoles, and definitly take from the haphazardness of the new console and add things as we find them.

My basic idea was to take my three favouite consoles and merge them somwhat.

The classic series shape and switches etc. The Secondary consoles wooden texture, and the new series organic look and came up with a slight looking like this:

console.jpg

The idea is that the coral edges will work like the NST Console, as will the blue areas, being all glowy and organic. The other areas will have switches, bobbles, dials, guages etc.

I noticed the new console had one length of the legs thicker so I incorporated that too.

And then alternating handle bars. :)

I HOPE to find a few parts of the NST console to add to mine....the twisty vice looking thing, and the lever that is usually pulled to materialize....heres hoping.

From the side the base I hope to simulate the NST with the coled around tubing as well.

We thought, due to this design if we leave the bottom accessible that is how we can wire and maintain it, rather than popping the tops...if that seems like a good idea.

Ideally I'd like a NST monitor and similar rotor...I have some thoughts on that...but that comes later for me really.

So what do you guys think?

Quote from: primrodo board=console thread=1197952493 post=1198208162Hey guys! Thanks for the positive replys!

Purple...great minds think alike I guess!

I have not thought 100% what I want to do for the rotor aside from having it fixed and the crystals inside to slide up and down...and figureing out a mechinism to do that too...just from the bottom mind you.

I may do a small rotor to start and make it larger when we get a space sloly for it to plug into the ceiling.  Definitly keep me in the loop for anything you find! I appreciate it :)

Chris, because of the hybridness of the console, I can do whatever I like, thank goodness! :) As I said ideally I'd like it to go to the ceiling, and I have gotten permission for a crispin inspired TARDIS room when we have the space...but for now it will have to be free standing..so I may just end up having a starter column and upgrading the length later.

If and when I get a room I will do a slight mesh floor, but the room will be designed otherwise like the secondary room...my favourite :)

:o
WOW!!!  How in the heck did all of you get into my head??!?!?!?!?!

Those are ALL ideas I have been working on for a WHILE now.  Been sketching in a notebook for years.  My fiancee was even beginning to appreciate my filing system of little bits of paper, LOL!!!

Seriously though great minds think alike.  Been hammering out the SAME design you posted for about 3 years now.  My biggest sticking point was the central column as well but I had the idea to combine the new series column with the original Hartnell column.  Basically the central bit that spins would be doubled and run the length of the column interior.  Then for the up and down movement a set up similar to the acrylic rods in the 1996 TVM surrounding the central mechanism.

I agree with you Justin about the rest of the console room being similar to the wooden secondary room.  I too had the same idea.  For a change though I went with the roundels from the old series main console room all lit up and glowing white.  I then wanted to change things around a bit more and made each roundel surrounded by a hexagonal plate.  Not like the new series version but a flat plate made of wood.  Each plate would be next to one another but seperated by a thin (say 1 inch) line that glowed like the roundels.  The whole effect would be similar to looking like a beehive made out of polished wood.

The columns supporting the walls would be similar to the girders used in the 1996 TVM.  The console itself was to be on a raised platform similarly to the cartoon version seen in "Scream of the Shalka".  Floor around the console itself would be steel grate, but the floors of the rest of the interior would be polished wood.

The doors would be an amalgam of the new series doors and the old series doors.  Basically the interior of the Police Box doors would be seen most of the time, however two sliding doors (pocket door type) similar in appearence to the old series interior doors but made in either the polished wood or aged steel look could closed from the console for added protection.

Doors to the rest of the interior would be of similar appearence to the secondary console room door, all wooden but with stained glass in the roundels of the door.

I also toyed with the idea of a raised catwalk made of steel ringing part of the interior of the console room.  Also of adding little touches to the room like both the Seal of Rassilon AND the Time Lord seal used in "Sound of Drums". 

The scanner screen itself would be similar to the roundel design only larger and made of aged steel, hanging from the ceiling directly across from the egress doors.  I invisioned it having an iris similar to what is seen on Stargate SG-1.  Of course there would be a smaller scanner on the console that moved like the one does in the new series.   The only change I would make on it would be for it to look like brass and steampunk instead of simlilar to a modern computer monitor.

Mine probably would have never been built, save for the console itself.  I had planned on making it into a scale model though.  Would even LOVE to get someone like Rob Semenoff to make it in a 3D digital format.

Seriously though, great work Justin!!!  Great minds really do think alike.  Just beat me to the punch is all.   ;D

ThisJustinOnline

Jan 13, 2008, 05:47 am #7 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 09:24 pm by scarfwearer
Well no ones beat anyone to the punch yet!

Great to hear someone else has had a similar idea though :)

Your idea for your room sounds great! It is basically what I was thinking as well, I would live to figure out that sketchup program to show what I would be going for, but very similar, except that I will have the NST style monitor....teh other regular monitor may have a TV in it, depending what we want for it.

If we get teh addition to the house we want I will be able to turn it all into a reality! Taking a page from Crispin though, there will be storage in the walls, and I have some ideas for that too, along with Police Box doors facing outside.

So we will see when that happens, for now however I am trying to figure out the console and the best way to build it and start adding crap to it :)