Apr 19, 2024, 06:24 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Where to obtain a large Time Column tube?

Started by cyberleader1991, May 22, 2006, 11:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberleader1991

May 22, 2006, 11:09 pm Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 12:19 am by Scarfwearer
We're looking for advice on how/where to obtain a 21 -22.5" clear glass or acrylic tube here.

Anyone?

kiwidoc

May 23, 2006, 04:27 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:08 pm by scarfwearer
I talked to my local plastics company (who supplied the sign box perspex and window T's - I described what I wanted as a big display stand and they got my gist very quickly.  It could most readily be done with a 'butt join' where it wraps around and is sealed in a vertical line up the side - this was true of several of the versions seen in DW and all of the replicas that I'm aware of (is that right for you too ScarfWearer?). The price was not terrifying (NZ$450) but from what I've heard that is outrageously reasonable.   A one-piece tube was not an option though they thought they might be able to import something that size from Germany for me....     :o

- glen

Scarfwearer

May 23, 2006, 12:39 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:09 pm by scarfwearer
I went to Ridout plastics in California and asked for a "custom cylindrical display case". They couldn't do 23", which was what I asked for, so I settled for 24". They were very helpful, charged around US$1100 if I remember rightly :o and shipped it to my door (this was 5 years ago though). I waited until I was pretty sure I was going to complete the console before ordering this, as it's probably more money than the rest of my console put together. It has no seam, which when you're looking closer than on TV is great...

Crispin

armadillozenith

Sep 26, 2006, 03:24 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:09 pm by scarfwearer
Folks, these prices are way out of my league so my far cheaper CONCEPT (as-yet untried) may be of interest to others similarly financially-limited. It's what I plan to use for my new-series style console, which is adapted and scaled down somewhat (!) from the 2005-2006 series.

Clear thin acetate sheet, available in stationers for design/graphics use, could be rolled up into a tube and secured at top and bottom with a circular clear plastic disc/collar (made to suit, with a lip or groove for the sheet to tuck into). And maybe a touch of 'invisible' sticky tape. 

Note, a LONG roll of acetate could be unrolled then re-rolled up at right angles for a TALLER roll.

If the acetate sheet used is big enough (or several are used, overlapping but staggered) that could give several layers and reasonable stiffness (not floppy). The top and bottom collars would keep it cylindrical. Staggering the edges would make the seams less obvious as such, appearing instead as just  part of the console design (eg 3 or 6 radially symmetric seams would appear less out-of-place than just one seam).

For internal detail, Clear acetate tubes (used as packaging for cheap Christmas baubles, etc), could be incorporated into the column. I have bought such packs, remaindered, for only a pound or so per 20 baubles in a 6cm diameter metre-long clear tube. Or, just roll up acetate sheet into even narrower tubes, as for the main column.

If say 3 or 6 evenly-spaced round holes were cut (with a hole-saw) in the discs that cap the time column (plus maybe some discs in-between) these could hold the internal tubes in place, and that would also make the whole structure more rigid.

As a very quick but floppy improvised solution (for 'fun' console appearances eg as a one-off party centrepiece), how about those ornamental dangling gauze tubes (with wire rings at top and base) sold with a string of ornamental lights to hang inside) ? I've used such an ornament, 10inch diameter and 2metres high, with my prototype console assembled at youth group.

And finally - Has anyone considered an INFLATABLE time column?
:)

Graham