Apr 25, 2024, 12:37 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

the tardis main doors

Started by Teletran, May 24, 2006, 02:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Rassilons Rod

Are you suggesting that the Time Warrior dish walls were refurbished Brachacki walls?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 29, 2012, 07:00 pm
Are you suggesting that the Time Warrior dish walls were refurbished Brachacki walls?

From what I understand, the dish walls in 'The Time Monster' are indeed the original Brachacki walls with vac formed bowls inserted into the roundels.

Rassilons Rod

Not something I'd heard before, but it seems entirely plausible :)
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Aug 29, 2012, 07:48 pm #154 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012, 07:50 pm by tony farrell
As Jonathan (markofrani) says, the walls were refurbished - by which I mean, given a lick of paint and bowls inserted. In addition, a couple of extra walls were built (these are easily identifiable as they contained only four columns of roundels - one of which also contained a section which slid backwards to form the 'door' to the Master's Tardis). One of these walls - the one without the door - was later re-used in "Death to the Daleks" (minus bowls) with the 'roundels' painted grey (you can see a distinct join in the backing panels on it in this story).
Both of these new walls were then re-used and appear in Tom Baker's Tardis up to "Planet of Evil" but this time they were painted white and the join in the backing panels was much better. Liz Sladen can be seen entering the Tardis Control Room wearing an Edwardian dress through the door formerly belonging to the Master's Tardis (Pyramids of Mars).
Kind Regards
Tony

tony farrell

Aug 29, 2012, 08:04 pm #155 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012, 08:07 pm by tony farrell
Hi Crispin,
In Microsoft paint, I measured your green line (for 24" diameter roundel) and then copied it in yellow but centring it to the roundel. This picture shows the results I got. What do you think?
Kind Regards
Tony
[/quote]
Now that I've walked the dog and eaten, I've had a chance to study Crispin's excellent screen capture properly and have worked out how to count the pixels (I'm not a computer buff!):
I make the diameter of the roundels 400 pixels and the space between them 30 pixels. Taking my diameter for the roundels as 24", this makes the gap between each one 1.8". This makes the height of the Tardis' internal doors 77.4".
As Crispin has said, the edges of the roundels are slightly rounded - this and some 'pixelation' of the image makes an exact figure very difficult. But 77.4" is very, very close to my calculated figure of 78" for the height of the internal Tardis doors. With an allowance of 3.5" for the casters, this brings the height of the Tardis' internal door frame to 80.9" or 81". This is consistent with the photo I posted of the Police Box standing by the internal Tardis doors.
I therefore think that roundels are 24" and that the gap between each is 2" - any variation we see is very probably down to the rounded edges/pixelation/the width of the saw blade used to cut them out.
Best Wishes
Tony

mechanoid

Aug 29, 2012, 08:55 pm #156 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012, 08:56 pm by mechanoid
PDVD_018.JPG

Now, if we knew the height of the Zarbi and therefore..............!

Just a little light humour I discovered when looking for photo inlays of the TARDIS in the Web Planet for another thread. See the big buckets as well. Presumably a badly botched repair!

PDVD_017.JPG

Graham

tony farrell

No Graham,
The rear of the buckets really were that big! If you look very carefully on some shots you can even see the nail heads used to fix them in place...the joys of 'vidfiring' old tapes!
AS for judging the height of the doors from the Zarbi.....let's not go there!!
Tony

mechanoid

Aug 29, 2012, 09:12 pm #158 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012, 09:13 pm by mechanoid
I sincerely hope you know I was joking regarding the ZARBI.....just a bit of fun!  

As to the buckets on the doors, if they really were that big all the time, how come the bottom one is smaller and far more in line with other views I have seen. Or am I wrong (again!)

Scarfwearer

Tony can you mark your 400 pixel and 30 pixel lines on an image? I'm not seeing how you got there.

Crispin

tony farrell

Hi Crispin - DVD drive is playing up - can you send me a blank version of the roundel picture you posted? You have my e-mail

Tony

mechanoid

Quote from: tony farrell on Aug 29, 2012, 08:59 pm
No Graham,
The rear of the buckets really were that big! If you look very carefully on some shots you can even see the nail heads used to fix them in place...the joys of 'vidfiring' old tapes!
AS for judging the height of the doors from the Zarbi.....let's not go there!!
Tony

Sorry Tony! I was not very clear. I meant the size of the flange where they fit to the back, rather than the depth! That is certainly different to the images from the first season surely?

Scarfwearer

Aug 29, 2012, 10:04 pm #162 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2012, 10:05 pm by Scarfwearer
roundel-ratios2.png

Attached here. I had to re-grab it from the DVD, as I didn't save it. This might be a nearby frame, but I've rechecked my measurements against it and they agree.
It's better to use PNG format for this kind of work, as JPEG may introduce some noise.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: celation on Aug 29, 2012, 03:37 pm
You're absolutely right - it's extremely difficult judging from images, with blur etc. I've just spent about an hour being convinced I've built a component to the wrong scale, only to realize I was probably right all along. Very tricky to judge.

Now you've got us all champing at the bit for more updates from you ;)
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Aug 30, 2012, 02:40 pm #164 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012, 02:27 am by Tony Farrell
Attached here. I had to re-grab it from the DVD, as I didn't save it. This might be a nearby frame, but I've rechecked my measurements against it and they agree.
It's better to use PNG format for this kind of work, as JPEG may introduce some noise.

Crispin
[/quote]
Thanks for posting the photo Crispin...Here's how I got the figures for the diameter of the roundels; i.e., the green line = 400 pixels. The blue lines represent the depth of the vertical gap between each roundel = 30 pixels (the door is slightly ajar, therefore horizontal measurements wouldn't give a true figure).
The next step I took was to do the same sum for each of three proposed roundel diameters. Note, this calculation is for the height of the Tardis' internal doors only - an extra 3.5" needs to be added for the gap/wainscoting underneath the doors.

Divide 30 by 400 = 0.075.

0.075 x 24" = 1.8"    - (24 x 3) + (1.8 x 3) = 77.4" door height. 77.4 + 3.5 = 80.9" Tardis internal door frame height.
0.075 x 25" = 1.875" - (25 x 3) + (1.875 x 3) = 80.625" door height. 80.625 + 3.5 = 83.625" Tardis internal door frame height.
0.075 x 25.5" = 1.9125" - (25.5 x 3) + (1.9125 x 3) = 82.238" door height + 3.5 = 85.738" Tardis internal door frame height.

In my view, the only calculation which gives a door frame height which matches the picture of the Police Box prop next to the Tardis' internal doors, is for the roundels to be 24" (nominal) with a 2" (nominal) vertical space between each. (By nominal, I mean things like allowing for the gauge of the saw blade used to cut the roundels, a margin of error due to pixelation in the photos/slight distortion due to the angle at which the photographs/videos were taken)

Regards

Tony  
roundel-ratios3.pngmyphoto (17).jpg