Apr 20, 2024, 01:14 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

the tardis main doors

Started by Teletran, May 24, 2006, 02:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

celation

Let's also bear in mind that though the measurements given to Rob are (as far as we understand) authentic - that's no guarantee that these measurements were actually used by the carpenters (Shawcraft?).

I can imagine that if they thought the build would be more straightforward rounding up or down to a specific value, and could clear this with the designer - verbally or otherwise - they may well have built them with a slightly different set of measurements.

galacticprobe

Aug 23, 2012, 02:16 pm #91 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012, 02:20 pm by galacticprobe
Great job on that PDF, Bill!

Now, take notice that those "washing up bowl" roundels of "The Time Monster" appear larger than the roundel opening, which would account for them nearly overlapping at the rims, and the fact that they stick out from the walls about an inch or so (at a guess, from the shadows they cast and the way their edges are definitely not flush with the walls).

Personally (IMHO) I wouldn't use "The Time Monster" walls for any roundel reference, unless one was trying to build a "Time Monster" wall.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Aug 23, 2012, 03:12 pm #92 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012, 03:20 pm by tony farrell
Here you go Dino - same walls, minus bowls - spacing even!
Perhaps, as Celation says, the builders interpreted their brief, rather than following it slavishly. For info, according to Verity Lambert (in the Tardis featurette on "The Beginnings" boxset), the original Tardis set was constructed in-house. Shawcraft took over immediately afterwards because the BBC's set builders couldn't keep up with the production's tight schedules!
I've included the screen grab of the Tardis (within the Tardis!) as this seems to show that the height of the main internal doors including the space for the casters is equal to the height of the Police Box doors plus the Police Box base - so, 6' 9" to 6' 10" (81" to 82").
Regards
Tony081PlanetofEvil0013.jpg064time025.jpg

DoctorWho8

My drawings were just to help visualize the different sets of information we're bandying about.  If anyone wants me to try another set, give me some numbers. ;)  But to confirm Crispin's explanation, yes the roundels would have their insets 3 inches from the outer edge and would be 3 inches deep. The between roundel measurements of 1.5"/ 1.9375" for Rob's measurements are what come out based on the overall wall size and the 25.5 inch roundel size.  I figured based on photos that the outer edges of the walls were the same thickness as the vertical space between roundels.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Aug 23, 2012, 11:21 pm #94 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012, 11:24 pm by galacticprobe
Nice photos, Tony. You can see by those that the washing-up bowls were definitely larger than the roundel openings. In "Planet of Evil" the spacing between the "openings" are even. In "Time Monster" there is no spacing between the bowls; in fact some of the bowls' edges do overlap (hence my suggestion that, unless one is building a "Time Monster" console room wall, this specific set shouldn't be used for roundel reference).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Thanks Dino. The point I was trying to make was that - as built, not necessarily as designed - the spacing between the roundels is even and that the ratio between the diameter of the roundel and the space is 1:12. By including the snaps from the Time Monster, I hoped to show not only the even gap but also, by including the Police Box, that the height of the internal door opening is 81" to 82". A total height of no more than 82" for the door opening (including a three inch gap under the doors themselves) and a ratio of 1:12 must mean that the roundels (as built) were 24" in diameter.
Regards
Tony

mechanoid

Aug 24, 2012, 09:42 pm #96 Last Edit: Mar 20, 2018, 11:48 pm by Scarfwearer
Evenly spaced, but not the two columns of roundels that comprise the doors? The 60 degree angle spacing between the regular column and the door column differs, I think, and of course the horizontal measurement which is 6 inches in the middle of the doors? Apologies if that has already been pointed out!

Anyway, have just watched "Planet of Giants" and enclose some screen shots that may help with measurements. A nice edge on shot of a door and other wainscoting pics.

PDVD_000.JPG

PDVD_010.JPG
PDVD_011.JPG

tony farrell

Hi Mechanoid - great pics, especially the middle one which clearly shows that the bottom of the full roundel lies up with the horizontal edge of the half roundel. You're right about the six inch gap; have a look at the drawing I did on page six of this discussion. I think your photos show that (as I pointed out) I originally under-estimated the wainscoting/gap under the walls for the casters and that this should be three inches thus making the finished height of the walls 120" and not the 119" I stated in my drawing.
Tony

rob49152

I agreed that I would not give the plans to anyone else. I didn't say I wouldn't re-create them... hehehe ;)

shhhhhhhhh...

door.jpg

rob49152

the plans show that the roundles are 2'    1 - 1/2" across.  The inner ledge is 3" from sides.

tony farrell

Aug 25, 2012, 07:44 am #100 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2012, 08:01 am by tony farrell
Brilliant Rob - thanks for sharing (erm, I mean creating)!!!

rob49152

no problem. And if anyone is curious these are dated 18.10.63 with Designer being Barry Newbery and drawn by Eric Walmsley. Prod # 2042

Scarfwearer

That's fabulous Rob! You're a star!

Crispin

markofrani

Aug 25, 2012, 11:48 am #103 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2012, 02:53 pm by markofrani
Hi Rob,
That great for posting that. Many thanks!
I'm not great at maths, but it looks to me that the roundels are 25" diameter with a 2 inch gap. Where am I going wrong?
Also the vac formed indents are indicated as 3" deep on one cross section, and 5" deep on another...

tony farrell

Aug 25, 2012, 04:14 pm #104 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2012, 04:17 pm by tony farrell
In addition, if you add up the measurements across the top, you get 134" + 2x1" for the metal frame = 136. But at the bottom the plans state 135".
This is now really confusing. If the plans were drawn on 18.10.63 and the first episode was transmitted on 23.11.63, when was the Pilot Episode recorded? In addition, didn't Brachaki design the first set?
The plans show that (apart from the gap in between the two roundels that centre on/above the doors) the columns of roundels overlap. But these photos show that they don't....
All these questions...
TonyTARDIS wainscoting 06 (1C) ref.jpgTARDIS wainscoting 07 (1V) ref.jpg