Apr 19, 2024, 10:20 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

the tardis main doors

Started by Teletran, May 24, 2006, 02:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Ah yes, right under my nose. No wonder I didn't spot it! :)

I used to think there was a two column wall in the Hartnell years, off to the right of the scanner/ fault locator. But I have recently seen that it was the second 6 column wall.

This is great, I haven't had this much fun since I was researching the innards of the Brachacki Time column :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

croooow

Here's a behind the scenes picture from "Planet of the Daleks" that shows the side and a tiny bit of the back of the door wall.
d3-3s-086.jpg
You can see the same fin detail on the back of the wall wall in "Edge".
TheEdgeofDestruction1900.png
TheEdgeofDestruction1896.png
And here's one from "Colony in Space" showing a bit of the back of the door wall.
ColonyinSpacea0800.png
Judging from these I'm guessing the back of the door wall looked something like this
Originaldoorwallback.jpg
and the back of the wall wall looked like this
Originalwallwallback.jpg

I'm guessing the door wall and wall wall are built like this.
WallConstruction.jpg
Basically a frame with the honeycomb panels (half inch plywood?) slid into it with the front honeycomb panel being flush with the front edge of the frame with either thin wood or the thin plastic used for the center column housing to make the tubes.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not 100% sure it does though because I'm half asleep right know.
"I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

galacticprobe

Dec 04, 2011, 08:19 am #47 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2011, 09:45 am by rassilonsrod
Or spiral laminated cardboard tubes for the linings. (See my post about the roundel lining here: (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3220.0).

Dino.

EDIT: (Link edited, the post was in the part that I stripped off into a new thread). -Marc
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Dec 04, 2011, 08:55 am #48 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2011, 09:43 am by rassilonsrod
Great 3D work and references! :)
Public Enema Number One.

BeeblePete

Quote from: croooow on Dec 04, 2011, 05:48 am
Judging from these I'm guessing the back of the door wall looked something like this

How profoundly depressing! Gonna be some time before I'm ready to build one of those and there it sits  :P

Srsly tho, good stuff.

warmcanofcoke

Apr 06, 2012, 12:41 am #50 Last Edit: Apr 06, 2012, 12:42 am by warmcanofcoke
a larger image of the one presented by croooow
colony003a.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

celation

I really haven't been keeping up with this thread...  :o

Wow - that's brilliant. Thanks Croooow and Petertheta for creating all the fantastic plans and reconstructions.

I'd reallylike to build one of these walls, but there's absolutely no way I'd have space to do it. I don't know that most people would, unfortunately.

Rassilons Rod

One more reason for me to move to Vienna. My girlfriend has an apartment with 3m ceilings.

Sadly, I know for a fact that she'd veto me building one of these! :/
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: petertheta on Nov 26, 2011, 11:27 pm
Here are some drawings of the entry wall and the six-column roundel walls. I've given these a version number of 0.1 for some headroom in case I've made any bonehead mistakes :)

0.2 update: hinge height (least I caught that one)

- Pete

No message is associated with this attachment. No message is associated with this attachment.

For some reason, I can't post any screen grabs - the forum keeps telling me I've already done so - but I'm trying to comment on Pete's superb drawing. If I can work out what I've done wrong, I'll post the screen grabs at the end of this thread. In the meantime, I'd like to say that the gap between the highest point on the full roundel and the top of the wall is only one inch and not two. Because the upper-most points of the full and 'half' roundels line up, this means that the 'half' roundel isn't a semi-circle but is only 11 inches high. Similarly, the gap between the lowest point of the full roundel and the bottom edge of the wall is 1 inch and not two - again this makes the 'half' roundel only 11 inches. Excluding the castors (and wainscoting), the Tardis wall are actually 117 inches tall and not the 119 inches Pete has stated.

tony farrell

myphoto (63).pngmyphoto (64).png

Hope these pictures will load and show you what I mean
Tony

tony farrell

tardis-main-doors.png
A better picture from earlier in this thread - showing that the horizontal bottoms of the 'half' roundels line up with the bottom of the full roundel. The half roundels cannot therefore be fully semi-circular but are only 11 inches tall.
Regards
Tony

rob49152

I can tell you that the original 1963 roundle holes were 2' 1 1/2" (at least thats how it's written) there is 3" of ring around the edge and a 3" drop. There is 1 1/2" space at the narrowest bit between the rings. The whole movable wall is 10' 4" high. The Roundles are inset 9". The whole wall is 12' 4" wide.

They were created by an outside contractor. But the sheet doesn't say who it was. It looks like there were supposed to be 2 made. But in the end only one was made.

Hope that helps.

Rassilons Rod

Aug 10, 2012, 08:23 am #57 Last Edit: Aug 10, 2012, 08:39 am by rassilonsrod
Quote from: rob49152 on Aug 10, 2012, 04:31 am
in the end only one was made.

EoD-1__0011_Layer 54.jpg

Are you sure? I'll keep looking, see if I can find a pic of two together, I mean I guess that they could have moved the wall around for these shots, but as it was one set for this whole story, I'd be surprised (though I do recall them using the doors as a wall further inside the TARDIS).

My theory being, that since they shot these things "as-live" at the time, going from set to set, then it wouldn't seem they had time to move that back wall and the one next to the front doors...

I don't know, unless we find a shot with 2 walls clearly in it then I guess it's hard to say...
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

bigmonklittletardis.jpgget-attachment (1).jpgmonks-tardis.jpg
Hopefully the attached photos will show that three solid walls were indeed made. The pictures from "The Time Meddler" and (I think) "the Chase" show that two of the walls had 'lost' their buckets but the third (perhaps, rarely used) wall retained them - albeit they were a bit knocked about.
The main door wall did indeed 'double up' for an internal wall in "The Dead Planet" where Susan can be seen drawing a picture of a petrified flower.
I'd be interested to know where the measurements of two foot one and a half inches diameter roundels separated by a three inch gap came from as this would make the main doors six feet ten inches tall.
Warm Regards
Tony

Rassilons Rod

Aug 10, 2012, 11:38 am #59 Last Edit: Aug 10, 2012, 11:39 am by rassilonsrod
In each of those photos, there are only the doors and one solid wall pictured (not including the photo blowups).

In the case of the time meddler, I think (not entirely sure) but I think that they are from two different episodes.

The last one had his stash behind that wall, and in the first shot, that was all we see.
Public Enema Number One.