Apr 19, 2024, 08:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console Measurements (was Consoles...)

Started by dalethetimelord, Apr 17, 2005, 01:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dalethetimelord

Apr 17, 2005, 01:32 pm Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 08:20 pm by Scarfwearer
From Hartnell via McGann to Eccleston and the Bakers - no matter which era of console you're working on, show off your work here, and chat to other builders making their consoles!

kyrephex

Apr 17, 2005, 03:07 pm #1 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:33 pm by scarfwearer
I know there will be some great build that people will share, and plenty of us who are still in the planning stages.

For my own console project, I want to build an 8 panel console, with a mix of Jules Verne brass and wood styling and modern LED lighting. Further, I plan that this will be a working bit of furniture with computers built into it and flat panel screens.

Kevin

Mark

Apr 19, 2005, 09:49 pm #2 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:34 pm by scarfwearer
Hmm sounds interesting.

I know its all down to personal taste but why did you decide upon 8 panels? (Opportunity for more gadgets/switches?! ;D)

I've only just managed to convince my missus to let me build a Police Box in the garden so I don't think theres much chance of a console too. :'(

purpleblancmange

Apr 20, 2005, 08:38 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:34 pm by scarfwearer
Something I've always wanted to do is build a console based on the 5 Doctors version... the thinking being here, what happened to it after the events of Survival?

For years I toyed with various ideas - including a "Rotor" that stretched up to the ceiling.  When the TV Movie did that, I was pleased - now looking at the new series version, it really reinforces this idea.

Take an existing console and upgrade it with whatever junk you can find!  As usual, I have the means to do this, but not the time.  Things should settle down soon, then I'll be brandishing various tools at unsuspecting props - ooooh, the power!

purpleblancmange

Apr 22, 2005, 05:53 pm #4 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:34 pm by scarfwearer
This is just an uploady image testing thing - so just ignore it.  Now, will it work?  If you see something, yay!  If not, Bugger!

[noIMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/stasia13/Anthony/100_0050.jpg[/img]

Hmmm, it's not this big in Photobucket!

Edit:  Ah, it seems that it takes a while to get the Photobucket resize to affect the link, so it is this big after all!  Still looks like a big pile of steaming poo to me though... must throw some filler at it or just bin it - whatever.

sontarus

Apr 23, 2005, 10:45 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:35 pm by scarfwearer
I could use 6 of those...Purple...teheehee!! ;D

Rassilon

Apr 24, 2005, 01:13 am #6 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:35 pm by scarfwearer
I'd like to see some close-ups, with a ruler next to it, in various parts of it!!!! ;D ;D :o :o

purpleblancmange

Apr 24, 2005, 09:24 am #7 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:36 pm by scarfwearer
Sontarus, Rassilon,

Long time posters from the other site will know that for ages I've been threatening to do something with this.  This is the throw away panel, it's knackered beyond belief and I really can't be bothered to repair it.

The other panels are in fairly good order, just needs a bit of patching up, a bit of care and attention and then it should be back to looking as it did when Davison, Baker, McCoy used to use it.  That said, I may do a bit of upgrading with it and take it to the "next level" as in what happened to it after SURVIVAL.  Though, whatever I'll do, it'll be able to go back to it's usual 5 Doctor state... probably.

At the moment, the console is in many, many bits, looking very sorry for itself - when it's together, even in this rubbish state, it still looks impressive!  It's just finding the time to do all this.

Purple

davidnagel

Apr 25, 2005, 10:24 pm #8 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:38 pm by scarfwearer
There are two useful pictures knocking about put together by Mr Purple. One with a diagram of the "Five Doctors" console with some fairly rough measurements. And also a large picture of the picture Mr Purple has posted above...

... all there is now is just to work out the scales and then you can work out which measurement is which and work out the rest!

Well it works in theory.
Regards
David

kyrephex

May 15, 2005, 05:36 pm #9 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:38 pm by scarfwearer
I was opting for an 8 panel console as my personal "obsession" with octogons.

Some time ago I was writing up a spin off time lord story who had a prototype TARDIS, and tossed in the 8 panel console.

Haven't really identified what each panel would do, yet, like one of the wonferful websites which has updated designs of the daleks and the tardis console and console room. I'll have to find that link. Excellent work.

In real life, I wanted this console to house at least 2, up to 4 working networked computers. Then i could do my computer work and research at the console while watching tv and being near the built in phone.

Kevin

Teletran

Jun 15, 2005, 06:30 pm #10 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:39 pm by scarfwearer
I was hoping for some info on the central column, how big is it, how far dos it go up, how fast that kind of thing.
I would be grateful for any help you could give me.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

Scarfwearer

Jun 16, 2005, 12:14 am #11 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:39 pm by scarfwearer
There's a bunch of diagrams of the console here, including both plans and elevations:
http://groups.msn.com/thetardisrebuilders/tardisconsoles.msnw?albumlist=2.

It looks like the central column diameter is around 24".

Crispin

retfordlad

Jul 30, 2005, 02:14 pm #12 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:40 pm by scarfwearer
Anybody tried a Katy Manning build ? Ive watched Wierd Science lots but maybe got to wear the bra on the head - doh !

Seriously, Id love to do a Pertwee era build but it would have to be done ala ' Changing Rooms ' ie Other 'Arf goes to work, I work like mad and when she gets home go ' Ta-daah ' and move rapidly in the general direction of Away - -

Steve 8-)

retfordlad

Jul 30, 2005, 02:15 pm #13 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:41 pm by scarfwearer
Oh yeah, Purple - - Im still hinting about the panels(s) !!

Steve

cadonguy

Aug 13, 2005, 06:56 am #14 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 07:41 pm by scarfwearer
Can anyone describe what the 9th Dr's Time Rotor is? I know that the 8th one was 8 rods above, 8 below, that mesh and separate, but what's in the Ecceleston one? What's inside that turquoise paint, I see at the BBC site a pic, not very clear, of 3 tubes inside the rotor, the centre one bigger, and in "Rose" I saw 2 discs above meeting 2 discs below, but how does it all interact?   Also, can anyone say what pullies/gears are used for the McGann and Eccelston rotors?