Apr 18, 2024, 06:44 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hi-Res Photo of Console Room

Started by elphaba, Aug 10, 2008, 11:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

elphaba

Aug 10, 2008, 11:17 am Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 10:21 pm by Scarfwearer
Is there / does anyone have and would provide a link - to a very hi-res photo of the inside of the TARDIS (2005-2008) Concole Room as seen from the doors of the Tardis i.e. looking up the ramp - in other words - what someone would see from outside if both of the doors were open?

There is a similar shot on the BBC Website but it's low res and part of the 360 degree explorer - I'm looking for a still.

Basically I want to blow it up and have it wrapping around the 3 interior walls of my TARDIS build, so that then people have the door open - they 'think' they see the whole console room inside.

Thanks

mugsyuk

Nov 03, 2008, 10:46 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:46 am by scarfwearer
I'm sure it only looks like its higher quality ;D, it would need colour matching and blurring to be effective yet tho.

Hopefully its a good place to start tho

galacticprobe

Greetings,

Not to try and out-do Rox, but I've pieced together a goodly sized image of the 2005-2009 console room from images captured from the Bonham's auction site. It took a while, like assembling a big jigsaw puzzle, but the result (at least IMHO) is somewhat impressive and should make a great backdrop when printed out "Tardis-sized." The file is currently about 24" x 29" according to its attributes, and 13.5MB in .bmp format (it drops to just 1MB as a jpeg, but I think it loses a bit of its sharpness).

I'll yield to the Administrators as to which size is best for the purpose before I try posting it. And let me say that I in no way am trying to defraud Bonham's or anyone else by doing this. I was only after a better way to view the set than having to look at pieces of it at a time, in about 4" x 4" area on a web page. I will make no profit from this (and will use a tissue compression eliminator on anyone who tries to make me profit!). This is all in fun for something we obviously love.

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Scarfwearer

It's better not to post very high resolution images here for a number of reasons, not all of them technical... Technically, 3-500KB is a good upper image size limit for most purposes. It's set higher than this at the moment, but I'm expecting to lower it again in due course. We can certainly make exceptions when the need arises, though.
Also the BMP format is not web-friendly, but you can get better results from JPEG by reducing the compression when you save, though of course this may push you over the size limit...

Crispin

deck5

If you're just looking for a place to host the large file, and then post a link to it, I'd be happy to host it for you; PM me if you'd like.

galacticprobe

Feb 12, 2010, 04:25 am #6 Last Edit: Aug 26, 2014, 05:09 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Primrodo on Feb 11, 2010, 12:42 pm
Do you mean the picture on Lot 2?

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=4536544&iSaleNo=18192&iSaleSectionNo=1

To quote the Ninth Doctor: "Sor' of; yeah." It was the image of the full set interior (middle pic at the bottom of that page).

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Feb 11, 2010, 11:03 pm
It's better not to post very high resolution images here for a number of reasons, not all of them technical... Technically, 3-500KB is a good upper image size limit for most purposes. It's set higher than this at the moment, but I'm expecting to lower it again in due course. We can certainly make exceptions when the need arises, though.
Also the BMP format is not web-friendly, but you can get better results from JPEG by reducing the compression when you save, though of course this may push you over the size limit...

Crispin

That's what I thought, about the byte size, which is why I asked first. Not sure about reducing compression when saving... not that savvy with imaging. I converted the BMP to a jpeg; it reduced its size to just 1MB (without changing its physical dimensions) and actually it didn't lose much of its sharpness at all. Here's a 50% reduced size jpeg (12.5" x 10", about 470k) of what I jigsawed(sp?) together - not easy - many jpegs to sort through and arrange. (Sorry there's no ramp in there.) The full-size image is just as sharp.

2009HugeBackground01-477.jpg

Now if only there were such images available of the earlier "regenerations" of the console rooms then we could create backgrounds for our Tardises to match whichever regeneration we happened to be in at the time!

Quote from: deck5 on Feb 11, 2010, 11:23 pm
If you're just looking for a place to host the large file, and then post a link to it, I'd be happy to host it for you; PM me if you'd like.

We might have better luck if you PM me - I haven't quite figured that bit out yet. (I know what you're probably thinking... a 'tron tech having trouble figuring that out? My kids could probably do it, but my "old school" brain runs slow these days. After all most of my technical training came from "original Type-40" technology: vacuum tubes, analog displays, etc. (It might also have something to do with this medication I'm taking for this nasty vertigo I'm fighting). And I'm getting up there in years, having recently celebrated my 1,049th birthday! But like my father always said: "If you don't grow old, it means you're already dead.")

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

imageshack.us or photobucket.com are the typical image hosting sites.  They will take large uploads and provide links.  Look around for Posting Pictures FAQ.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

deck5

PM sent!  Check up at the top of the forum, the link is 'MY MESSAGES'.

DoctorWho8

Aug 10, 2008, 02:33 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 12:25 pm by scarfwearer
Justin (Primrodo) has already done such a thing for his TARDIS.  Check with him to see what he did.  I know he had to composite several photos to get the right look.
Bill Rudloff

ThisJustinOnline

Aug 12, 2008, 01:09 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 12:26 pm by scarfwearer
Hello! I actually took 3 pictures and merged them together to make this:

IMG_7892.jpg

I have been thinking on my next build I would make it more like that as well.

What I did was assemble the photo and then used tiling to create the whole thing for less money :) Was something like 40 sheets of 11x17 paper.

exilea

Aug 12, 2008, 01:53 am #11 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 12:26 pm by scarfwearer
Dear Lord!  :o That's not half bad!

Alot of tape and a little patience make all the difference ;)
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...

elphaba

Aug 12, 2008, 11:06 am #12 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 12:26 pm by scarfwearer
Primodo

That looks awesome - can't even see the joins on the tiles or on the 3 composite pictures.

The original digital image that you made from 3 others --- would you share it?

Also have you cropped it?

I'm wanted the 4 screens inside my Tardis to show the image you see. The screen layout is as follows

(all 24" widescreen)

.... [=]
    [=][=][=]

(ignore the dots... the top monitor '[=] is supposed to be directly about the middle of the bottom row of monitors i.e. like a pyramid)

so when the doors are open the two central monitors (one above the other) show the rotor and console as well as the gantry leading up to the console, and the other two monitors on the sides show the width and walls of the console room - giving it a sense of proportion.

Hence when all 4 screens are on - and the doors are open it looks 'real'

Do you think this is doable?

The closest I've personally found is the 360 degree panorama view on the BBC website, but the tool they use distorts it and it's impossible to get a still image from it.

Thanks again

mugsyuk

Aug 12, 2008, 06:20 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 12:26 pm by scarfwearer
great image thats exactly wwhat i had in mind, I'm huessing you blew up the image from the beeb website? If you could let me know if its the case I'd really apppreciate it.

Many thanks

Rox

Aug 12, 2008, 09:55 pm #14 Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 12:27 pm by scarfwearer
How about this?

http://www.wiccaweys.com/tardis/tardisint01.jpg

It's the wallpaper from the Beeb, removed the jpg artifacts, adjusted the colour and blown it up.

Hope it's useful for you.   :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.