Started by flaming cog, Jun 02, 2008, 06:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flaming cog

Jun 02, 2008, 06:46 pm Last Edit: Apr 01, 2023, 03:35 am by warmcanofcoke
Just started my new console and I tryed to base it on this:

pic1ik5.png
pic2dr9.png
pic3gx6.png
Has anyone ever tryed to bring this console into the real world acuratly? ???
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)

flaming cog

Jun 09, 2008, 06:46 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:23 am by scarfwearer
Nice cropped image :)

handofomega

Jun 02, 2008, 09:16 pm #2 Last Edit: Jun 26, 2011, 06:25 pm by Scarfwearer
Always wanted to have a better look at it.  Never could see enough of it in "Scream of the Shalka".

davidnagel

Jun 03, 2008, 09:01 am #3 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 08:32 pm by scarfwearer
There are a few pictures of this console knocking around, I could easily grab some from the program since there are some more lovelier shots of it than your selection there.

I thought about replicating this console into the real world once, and started collecting the picture lantern wall fittings (the lights above each panel) but then I stopped because I lost interest.

Personally, the console looks gorgeous and would so in real life, but as a fanatic and a film maker, there isn't much practicality to the prop and thus with all those dials, it'd be boring to operate.

I'll see what imagery I can strum up. Glad someone is taking this console up, should look brill when done... now all you need is REG to pilot it :D
Regards
David

davidnagel

Jun 03, 2008, 09:39 am #4 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 08:34 pm by scarfwearer
Ok, the more I look at the console, I can see how simple it will be to reproduce, and past the lower level's lights and levers, the upper panels' components could easily be found, or made, eBay here we come!

This could easily be a weekend make if you do it 48 hours straight. Brass I am unsure how to replicate, especially for the trimming on the table/circle base and getting it to match the rest of the brass would be another query I'd bring up.

Hmm.

~David.
Regards
David

handofomega

Jun 03, 2008, 06:47 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 08:35 pm by scarfwearer
 :o :o :oDavid, these images are FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any chance at a better view of the base????   

I might have to change my console designs now...   :-[

flaming cog

Jun 03, 2008, 09:41 pm #6 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 08:35 pm by scarfwearer
wow those pictures are amazing. My garage has no way neer as much room as i need to make mine look 100% near the original. But if i did have that much space i would make it look perfect, its such a cool design.

davidnagel

Jun 04, 2008, 08:01 am #7 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 08:36 pm by scarfwearer
Glad you like em.

As for the base, past looking through the flash movies again, I only did one to get the above pictures, I have simply lightened up the third image and cropped.

side_regconsolenew.png

As you can see its got these ornate arms and rings of round bolt heads. I will wager and say there are only four arms - which could easily be produced in wood, the army bit that is, and the round end bits could be cylinders or piping of some kind. And to pop it all off, cover in some metallic paint to create the texture you get on old metal garden furniture, the old proper stuff, not the alumnium crap they produce today.

I will search for images of the lower lower base but it'd be useful if someone could point me in the direction of the bit of the episode that might have it in. Any help is always appreciated.

~David.
Regards
David

davidnagel

Jun 03, 2008, 09:35 am #8 Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:00 am by Scarfwearer
Ok, forget searching for images of the thing, try ripping pictures of the console from the flash movies themselves, here are some shots I've just slapped together at a free moment at work.

closeup_regconsole.png

full_regconsole.png

side_regconsole.png

I did mange to get the images out a little larger but couldn't preserve the size when uploading to photobucket.

Hope these are useful!

~David.
Regards
David

kolchak92

Jul 13, 2013, 12:05 pm #9 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013, 12:05 pm by kolchak92
I am in need of screen captures and other reference materials of the Scream of Shalka Tardis Console. I am wanting to gather info and design a plan to build the console for my first Tardis console build. Please, if you have any info or reference materials, please comment. :) Thanks so much!
J.
"Door? Boring. Not me."

galacticprobe

Jul 13, 2013, 07:18 pm #10 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2013, 07:25 pm by galacticprobe
This is all we have on the "Shalka" console at the moment: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1009.0. The thanks go to flaming cog for starting that thread and the first screen grabs in it, and to davidnagel for adding more, up close detailed grabs. But as I said, so far this is all we've got for reference on this console. I don't know of anyone else who's wanted to try and build this one, so I'm sure that everyone here will be interested in following your progress on this one.

Good luck!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

themindprobe

I finally figured out how to play the Shalka flash files and got some HD images not fully represented elsewhere in the thread:

profile.png
Higher-resolution profile view of the controls

rotor.png
View of the time rotor's internals (to the highest detail the animators bothered with.)

assembly.png
View of the assembly around the rotor (moves up and down during flight)

close-without.png
Close-up view (basically just the profile view zoomed in, except the oscilloscope meter has a recolored frame, just as a few meters have differently colored frames when drawn in the top and profile views)

close-switches.png
The same view, but the animators have added a set of switches for the Shalka Prime to flip dramatically. They of course vanish after this shot.

telephone.png
Not a console component, unfortunately- the TARDIS phone

I think that's everything actually shown in the animation now. I'd rather have extracted the additional vectors in the images too but can't find any software for the purpose.

davidnagel

Thanks! Those look splendid and you bothered to go through the programme to get the other things ;) I just pulled the files apart and found the widest shots I could really.

If this console was recognised some more, I'd so be building a full scale replica of it. But alas...
Regards
David