News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BBC Studio Set circa 1982/3

Started by timerotor, Mar 23, 2008, 05:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

timerotor

Mar 23, 2008, 05:14 pm Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:29 pm by Scarfwearer
Longleat1983consoleroomset1-1.jpg

This was at Longleat 83 on day two at about 9am, I met Janet Fielding,  she was taking it all in with a cup of coffee... before the event kicked off. it shows myself standing looking on at the set, before the crowds came, you were lucky to get a clear picture after that because there were just so many people in the way and pushing past
Longleat1983CONSOLEROOMSET2-3.jpg

This was taken quickly  in a lucky moment when the sun came out strongly lighting up the tent - making it appear how it does in the studio - other wise it was a cloudy day,and the inside of the tents were too dim for good pictures.
Longleat1983consoleroomset-1.jpg

It struck me as a very odd thing to have taken the entire time rotor out of the central housing and put a piece of wood over it - revealing the entire column as the tardis never appeared like this on screen  - and to me (a 7 year old) -it looked rather strange and out of place! in fact it annoyed me.
I also remember that when I crossed the rope as only a youngster would have the nerve to do.
I went straight for the red door lever.
It was only clinging onto the console with one screw at the top so the bottom of it swung about, which also brushed against the lip of the edge. on that note! I can reveal that there were infact three groves as if there had once been three levers in that fitting, with the large red door knob in the central one - they were not evenly spaced out either - you can see this in the photo's if you look closely!
(EDIT 06.04.08
I have since posting this spoken to my friends who worked in BBC Visual Effects and saw the consol up close. They are at quite a loss, when I ask them about the other two grooves in the base fixture - suggesting they might have been thin strips of black elex tape and not grooves at all... I know what I saw, but they insist that there was only one groove and I agree that it is visably one in many shots... it is possible, though I think unlikely there were two different fixtures. EDIT END)

closeupofdoorlever.jpg-DSC00074-1.jpg.
a photo of Lever from Dr Who.

- and I remember there were scorch marks, burn marks on some of the panels - this must've been due to the pyrotechnics in the last few stories - before the new console was introduced. The roundels were very dark - orange. This was too keep the strong back lighting from ghosting the actors as they walked past when filming. later, they became how we imagine them, as they are seen on the zero cabinet, you'll notice that in the five DR's onward the detailing simply disappear when back lit strongly.

I just thought I would share this with you guys.

Cheers for now.

Timerotor  :)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

timerotor

Mar 30, 2008, 10:07 am #1 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:30 pm by Scarfwearer
consoleroom1983.jpg
taken in September 1982 Studio 8, during a filming break of Mawdrin Undead.

studiosetfromabove.jpg
during The Visitation (May1981 Studio 3)

Adriconset2.jpg a few nice pictures taken during filming breaks.

DoctorWho8

Mar 23, 2008, 05:50 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:27 pm by scarfwearer
Haven't I seen these published in a book at some point?  Brilliant photos, though.  As far as why the column was on a plank, well it's because (as Purple mentioned some time ago) the drive system was in the 5 Doctors Console.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

exilea

Mar 23, 2008, 06:49 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:27 pm by scarfwearer
Awesome photos! Feel free to post more! You can never have too many pictures.

You wouldn't happen to have any of the Davison era Toolkit props would you? I've been working on my own replicas.

+1 Karma!
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...

davidnagel

Mar 23, 2008, 06:50 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:27 pm by scarfwearer
Neat pics and a definate contribution to ever increasing collection of props pictures I've longingly acquired over some years.
Regards
David

meantimebob

Mar 23, 2008, 08:10 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:28 pm by scarfwearer
Wonderful photos, brings it all back. Where did Kameleon go though? I remember he was standing in the console room on the first day. Don't worry, bigger kids than you, who should've known better, jumped that rope and played with the console and the floor got a LOT more muddy.

Its always fascinating to see the back of the roundelled walls. What a lot of work that is and how interesting to see how its been put together, not one huge panel of wood at all but three separate pieces.

Thanks for posting them, made me feel 25 years younger :-)

timerotor

Mar 23, 2008, 09:10 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:28 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: doctorwho8 board=discussion thread=1206292446 post=1206294611Haven't I seen these published in a book at some point?  Brilliant photos, though.  As far as why the column was on a plank, well it's because (as Purple mentioned some time ago) the drive system was in the 5 Doctors Console.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

I have no idea - if they've been in a book, but I don't think so as I would know.
they have been on various exhibition sites, web pages including the old MSN tardis builders guild site as I share all my images.

I expect many people have copies of them,
I even found one on somebody's you tube photo album. HA!
Anyway - yes the timerotor mechanism would'nt have been there... I hadn't thought of that, derr... :P
- still they could've put it in the hole on a box - it just didn't look right.

timerotor

Mar 23, 2008, 09:15 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:28 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: exilea board=discussion thread=1206292446 post=1206298199Awesome photos! Feel free to post more! You can never have too many pictures.

You wouldn't happen to have any of the Davison era Toolkit props would you? I've been working on my own replicas.

+1 Karma!

cheers, I've always loved these pictures.
I don't have any close ups of the tool kit, but some are viewable on Martin Bower's model site - he's the chap that made the Earthshock stuff for the BBC ( I expect you already know that)... :-/ or they are featured in the technical manual ( I expect you knew that too) :D

exilea

Mar 23, 2008, 09:49 pm #8 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:28 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: timerotor board=discussion thread=1206292446 post=1206306907

cheers, I've always loved these pictures.
I don't have any close ups of the tool kit, but some are viewable on Martin Bower's model site - he's the chap that made the Earthshock stuff for the BBC ( I expect you already know that)... :-/ or they are featured in the technical manual ( I expect you knew that too) :D

Yeah, I've been round that block a few times now  :P. Purple Blancmange posted a photo he took of what was left of the kit around 1993. Follow the link in my signature if you wanna check that out!

Okay, i'm done hijacking your thread  ;D
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...

Rassilons Rod

Mar 24, 2008, 10:39 am #9 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:29 pm by scarfwearer
Fantastic photos :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

thecontractor5

Mar 27, 2008, 09:55 pm #10 Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 10:29 pm by scarfwearer
Niiiiiiiiiice 8-)  thanks

warmcanofcoke

stones003.jpg
DWAS Tardis Magazine Vol. 15 No. 1 (1997) Cover: Tom Baker (Stones of Blood)

Larger Image here : http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/ConsoleImage/?action=view&current=stones001.jpg

cropped image:
stones002.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

deck5

galacticprobe

Mar 04, 2012, 05:42 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 05:43 pm by galacticprobe
I've never noticed this before... The top of the "collar" around the column is black! (Like the edge around the console was black for the "Key to Time" series.)

Excellent photo Warmcanofcoke (and great enhancement, Deck5)!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Apr 26, 2012, 02:27 am #14 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2012, 03:29 pm by warmcanofcoke
Terminus.jpg
Nathan026.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.